Wetsuit layering question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyman45

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've got a Henderson 2mm wetsuit for summer diving in the carolinas. I'm wondering what the right combination would be for adding additional warmth for cold water dives. I wear a large. Would I get a full suit that is slightly larger? Would it be wise to use a two-piece unit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I think it depends on the water temp. I dive in 50 degree +/- water and wear a 7mm. Some people that I dive with will wear a 2 piece with each piece being 7mm, so you have 14mm on your core.

I tend to think that for cold water (<65F) you need a different suit, probably a 7mm. Trying to layer things over the thin suit to make it work will not work well enough to be worth it, and will probably be more constrictive.

If you really mean cold water diving then you are talking about a whole different suit, probably 7mm with 2X on the core if not dry. If you are just looking to extend the range of what you have a few degrees then a hooded chicken vest will kick it up a notch. More here.

Pete

Lots of combo's you can try. Personally, I prefer to add a vest as insulation inside my full suit, space permitting, since that prevents water from circulating between layers and reducing the R value.

Others I know buy a shortie slightly larger specifically to wear layered over their full suit.

Whatever works best for you, though if you've got an investment in the full suit, you might decide in or out based on how tight that one fits.

I use a 3 mm full Hyperstretch Henderson for Cozumel. But in SoCal, I use a 5/3 mm hooded vest and then a full 7/5 mm Hyp Henderson on it. Anything in between, the vest and the 3 mm would work for me.

So, for cold waters, anything less than 70 (and above 50), I suggest getting a full 7 mm at least.

I've got a 3mm thermoprene shorty that I wear under a 5mm thermoprene full when I need extra.

I've got a 2mm shortie that I have worn under my 3mm full hyperstretch. I did it last in Cabo last may. I consider it a mid temperture measure for tempertures in the upper 60's to lower 70's. For anything colder that I'm willing to dive I switch to a 7-6-5 hyperstretch and I'm locking at a hooded vest to add to that. I may go to a drysuit in the future but as of yet have not considered the investment.

Personally, I like the layering method, particularly for its versatility. For area lakes, I use a 3 mil "farmer john" and a long-sleeved jacket (also 3 mil). If the water's a bit nippy, I use both, and this arrangement is good down to the upper fifties or lower sixties (with a hood and gloves). When the water is a bit warmer, I use only the jacket. For tropical destinations, I use a 2 mil skin, and that's really only to protect from small jellies common to the area I dive.

Did you ever try to dive in a dry-suite? It is expensive to start with, but if you dive a lot in cold waters, it pays off. The downside for layering neoprene is that you add buoyancy and you lose insulation with every foot you go down. However, you have to get used to dry-suit diving, and your air consumption goes up a bit since you have small ripples all over your body (you are not as streamlined).

However, if you only dive several times per year or during a vacation in cold water, a 7 mil with a hood (the hood is important) will do.

Back
Top Bottom