Wetsuit Info Needed at Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tombiowami

Contributor
Reaction score
We are going down to Key Largo in the middle of October. From what I have gathered the warmest summer water temps are 85 and the coldest in the winter are 70ish. I am guessing Oct. temp would be around 78. We will be doing 5 dives one day, 4 the next, then 2 the next. All but the second day will be shallow reefs around 40'. We will be doing a 100' wreck dive the second day. All the dives but the wreck will be 45 min. to an hour. I currently have a 5mm suit which seems like it will be too warm, though I am taking it in case I get chilled toward the last dives. I am thinking of getting a .5mm microprene suit and a similar vest/hood to wear for most of the trip. I also carry a tropical cap on most dives just to add a bit of warmth if needed. Buying this setup also would let me use it in addition to my 5mm in the future.
How does this sound to anyone who has been down to Largo or similar conditions? I don't get cold that easily, but we will be doing a lot of diving in a short time. Thanks.

Tommy

Barring some incredibly potent record-breaking early winter storms, the water in October will still be in the 80's. The Gulf (and the Gulf Stream) and the keys don't really even begin to cool off until October - November.
With 5 dives a day, though, you'll still need *some* thermal protection. I find a 3 mil adequate for me in those conditions - your .5 mil with a hooded vest on hand should be plenty too... you probably won't even use the hooded vest.
Have fun...
Rick

Last year the wife and I spent a week in Key West. All the dive operators there had 3mil or less available. Any more than 3mil and you are going to be WAAAY too warm. One guy on the boat was just in a dive skin.

I will say, though, that I would suggest a full suit either way. Not so much for the warmth as for the protection. When we were there the jellyfish were a solid wall at about 10 feet. We actually had to look for windows through them. Lynette was wearing a short sleeved suit, and wound up with an ugly sting just above her elbow. Other than the jellies, the diving was great. We saw a nurse shark, at least one conch, schools of barracuda, parrotfish, snappers, sergeant majors.....the list just goes on and on! Lots of luck on the trip, you should really enjoy it!

Hi Tommy,

One of my freinds dives Key Largo often. He usually wears a diveskin (for protection) with a 3mm shorty over it (for warmth).

Hope this helps,

Tavi

A look at my logbook from last October the weekend of the 21 and 22nd showed water temps of 81 and air temps at 80. I was very comfortable in a 3mm suit doing multiple dives.

Viz ranged from 40 to close to 100 on one dive (the Duane).
I remember that dive well having entered the water from the boat in 6 foot seas to find great viz and no current. Well worth the rough conditions.

Have a great time!

I dove in Bonaire with my wonderful BARE 5/3 wetsuit. It has a front zip that you can vent a little warm water out if you get hot. And it has one of the nicest velcro adjustable collars around. 5 ml. in the torso and 3ml in the limbs. You can use a suit like this when you go to a cooler location like Hawaii or perhaps Lake Superior-just kidding on that last one.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom