wetsuit in Monterey, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive these water temps and down to around 42 @ 100+ ft with a 5mm custom suit from italy it only gets cold for thr first min. or so and well when you get out, get your own suit it makes a huge difference remember the tighter the better as long as you can still breathe and move.

I remember meeting a guy from Michigan a few years back. He was diving a 14(you saw it right! 14 mil) mil wetsuit. How people get in and out of that, I may never know, how people can carr that around, I don't think I want to know. But, if you're interested, I'm sure it's not hard to find someone who'll custom one for you.

I dove Monterey with a 7mm semi dry and was comfy.

If you are looking for a semi-dry, I LOVE my henderson gold!

smolderinglime:
Well, the suit was a bit big on me and old. I'm tall 5'11.5" and female, so the taller the suits get the wider they seem to get. I suppose I should get something custom made, but I haven't got a whole lot of money to spend. I really want to layer, as opposed to getting john and jane.

The important factor here (as tom also mentions) is the fit, no matter what manufacture of suit you get. Not being "off-the-rack" type of person, a custom suit would be your best bet if there is too much room for water to flow in and out of your suit. Remember, it is not so much the neoprene itself that keeps you warm, but the layer of water between the neoprene and your body that keeps you warm. If that water, once your body warms it up, is allowed to recycle frequently, your body continues to warm that water and you end up losing heat at a faster rate. A proper fitting wetsuit should be snug enough not to allow a lot of water flow, but should not be so tight that it keeps all water out and possibly restrict your breathing. And it should be comfortable for a good range of temperatures if you have a proper fit.

Softer more flexible materials such as those found in Henderson hyperstretch are great, as they can stretch and form to your body better if the fit is slightly off. I have one that I wear in tropical waters, but I've also found they tend not to be as durable.

smolderinglime:
Well, the suit was a bit big on me and old. I'm tall 5'11.5" and female, so the taller the suits get the wider they seem to get. I suppose I should get something custom made, but I haven't got a whole lot of money to spend. I really want to layer, as opposed to getting john and jane.

For a custom suit, you may want to visit the folks at Otter Bay Wetsuits on Hoffman St. near Cannery Row. http://www.otterbaysuits.com/

Good luck.

Mel

melfox26:
For a custom suit, you may want to visit the folks at Otter Bay Wetsuits on Hoffman St. near Cannery Row. http://www.otterbaysuits.com/
And they know how to puts horns or ears on hoods! **Smiling**

Wristshot

Monterey is soooo cold, just turn the heater up in your car, drive into the ocean and observe the fish till your car is filled with water, then make a Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascend for the surface. Nice dive..........semi-dry if I was you.

Look at Xcel.

http://www.xcelwetsuits.com/05dive/home.html

Or just go to the aquarium, toasty warm inside and better vis on average. :wink:
My Akona 7 mil one piece works for me and I'm no big fan of the cold either.

minamin13:
...If you wear the vest over the one-piece, all bets are off.
Since someone mentioned Otter Bay, I like one of their designs that is a regular full suit with an optional overlying vest with drysuit neck that keeps the water out. Comes with both tuck-in and drysuit-style hoods. Having it on the outside means the basic suit can be sized more perfectly for when the vest might not be needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom