Wetsuit In 4 Below

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sub 40 in a wetsuit, 35 is what you thought it would be is going to result in me coming over and pouring some refreshments over you to cool them off. Yup, you're going to become a Popsicle and not have any fun in the process.

Now 42 I think is the coldest I've done in a 7mm wetsuit and it was doable for an hours dive to 90 feet. A second dive was done to 80 feet with about the same length of time, no third dive was possible.

I can't do that now, I've been diving dry for far too long and now 55 seems cold in a wetsuit.

Honestly, IMO don't dive it, it's not worth the pain you'll have and you're not going to enjoy the dive after maybe 20 minutes or so.

Dry is where it's at.

DiveDiva_Ashley:
But either way, it does seem like 35 may be a little low to be diving wet. Remember that part of your face would still be exposed. I've had problems before with my lips going numb and me dropping the reg.

Unless you have a FFM a drysuit isn't going to change that. I can't claim 35F water, but I can claim 36F water and had no issues with my face freezing or dropping a reg out of my mouth. If it got cold I suppose I'd start wearing my FFM again but so far it's not been that cold out.

What I will say about a FFM in cold water is this. If you do it, it's like diving dry except now it's all over. Yes, your face and mouth will feel as comfortable as you do in the drysuit, it's the difference between diving wet vs diving dry. It's that different and if you have a full drysuit with dryhood and gloves you'll find the dive to be more pleasant.

I don't dive that way most of the time because I don't want to change my config.

cummings66:
Sub 40 in a wetsuit, 35 is what you thought it would be is going to result in me coming over and pouring some refreshments over you to cool them off. Yup, you're going to become a Popsicle and not have any fun in the process.

Now 42 I think is the coldest I've done in a 7mm wetsuit and it was doable for an hours dive to 90 feet. A second dive was done to 80 feet with about the same length of time, no third dive was possible.

I can't do that now, I've been diving dry for far too long and now 55 seems cold in a wetsuit.

Honestly, IMO don't dive it, it's not worth the pain you'll have and you're not going to enjoy the dive after maybe 20 minutes or so.

Dry is where it's at.

You were doing deco dives in a wetsuit in 42F water? That's nuts!

OH MY GOD.......... Diving in 35 degree water with a wet suit..... :confused: Talk about the shrink factor.....:11:

Man, I dive a 5/7 mm in 80 degree water and a dry suit for everything else. The coldest water I've ever been in with a dry suit was 36 degrees and that was during an ice dive, and it was some cold. Even with dry gloves my hands where very cold.

Good luck and you gotta post if you actually do the dive.......:D

Your hands and feet will get cold first. Get as much neoprene as you can on them and a good hood.

Thanks Scubagang, For Some Strange Reason I Think This Is What I Needed To Hear! They Are Two Sweet Wrecks But They Will Have To Wait For Me. I Have Booked My Drysuit Class, So Then I Know What To Look For When I Go To Buy One. Thanks For The Suggestion, Pete, But That Money With My Charter Money Has Just Started The "i Need A Drysuit Fund". Thanks Again For Your Inputs. Cheers And Safe Diving.

I used to dive my 1 piece 7mm in 36*F water with no problems at all. It depends on your own comfort level. I don't get cold very easily but i'm a Canuck. My dive buddie is the same way. Give it a go but be ready to go to a drysuit if need be.

You yanks are tough or crazy? We start crying when the temps here get below 70.I guess that makes me a wuss or just spoiled. Have fun,Dive and dont freakin freeze.

I dove 14 mm under the ice. 20 minute dives..nice a cozy..I would not go any longer. that will get way to cold. Once you get out. Then you have to soak yourself with warm water and find shelter. Change out of the wetsuit, Wrap up wait for the next dive. put on the dry wetsuit...do the dive...now that is cold water diving at its best.

So baisically two 14 mm wetsuits. for two dives.

Now I dive dry...no more shrinkage.

scarefaceDM:
I dove 14 mm under the ice. 20 minute dives..nice a cozy..I would not go any longer. that will get way to cold. Once you get out. Then you have to soak yourself with warm water and find shelter. Change out of the wetsuit, Wrap up wait for the next dive. put on the dry wetsuit...do the dive...now that is cold water diving at its best.

So baisically two 14 mm wetsuits. for two dives.

Now I dive dry...no more shrinkage.
All I can say is [DEDICATION TO THE SPORT]

Back
Top Bottom