Wetsuit help for cold water!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjsess13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im a diver in the puget Sound area. I am looking to purchase a wetsuit, because i cannot afford the drysuit. The waters are about 40-55 degrees depending on where you dive. Im a new diver and i get cold Very easily. Should i look towards the semidry kodiak or oneal jtype. You tell ME what to buy! thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated!

I have personally dived 47 degree water with a 7mm wetsuit, hood and gloves and was okay for 30 min.

Here's a guide from Wetwear - How Thick A Wetsuit Do I Need?

WATER TEMP SUIT THICKNESS AND STYLE
40 to 60 7mm Shorty over 7mm Jump
45 to 70 7mm Shorty over 5mm Jump
50 to 60 7mm Jump
50 to 70 5mm Shorty over 5mm Jump
50 to 80 5mm Shorty over 3mm Jump
7mm Shorty over 3mm Jump
60 to 70 5mm Jump
55 to 80 3mm Shorty over 3mm Jump
65 to 85 3mm Shorty over 2mm jump
70 to 80 3mm Jump
75 to 85 2mm Jump

I don't know anything about WA, and my water's usually 50-55, but my instructor wears a Jtype that he loves. On shore dives I usually see him in the Jtype rather than his DUI TLS.

Here's a better guide from Wetsuit Style and Thickness by Temperature - Dick's Sporting Goods

Wetsuit Thickness and Style Recommendations

Recommended Thickness
Water temperature Thickness recommended
75-85F 1/16" (1.6mm) neoprene, lycra, polartec
70-85F 1/8" (3mm) neoprene
65-75F 3/16" (5mm) neoprene
50-75F 1/4" (6.5mm) neoprene
35-65F 3/8" (9.5mm) neoprene, drysuit
Return To Top

Protection From The Elements
Water temperature Style of suit
80+F None needed
72-80F Shortie or three-quarter
65-72F Full
60-65F Full wetsuit or drysuit
50-60F Full drysuit
Under 50 Full drysuit-gloves, hood and booties

If your thinking about Semi-Dry Personally I would say save your money up and just get drysuit. From what I have seen they are not worth the extra money. For the price of a semi dry You could probably find a good used drysuit online. Depending on your size there is a few floating around now price ranging from 400-1200 I have seen atleast 4-5. For me I also get cold easily and quickly so it was Dry for me all the way.

There is still unfortunately a large jump in price from a good wetsuit to a dry. Add in the maintenance required on a dry suit (undergarments, seals, zipper, hole patching) and it becomes a significant barrier for some (including myself right now).

It is rather easy to bulk up the thickness of neoprene to handle 50F water in a 300-400 dollar 7 or 8mm suit. With a true semi-dry, you might gain another 5F (45F) for another 200-300 premium.

It is not nearly the same gain you get from going dry. What the numbers hide though is the comfort on subsequent dives of the day. Wet, these can be miserable below 50F and dry they are comfortable. Even more of a difference on the SI when the outside air is cold and windy, I have frozen my butt off sitting around in a wetsuit for a hour long SI.

I'd consider a used wetsuit and the a vest as well. I dive a kodiak and while it is warm and nice in the summer its not nearly as nice in the winter. Then instead of spending $550 on a semi-dry you've spent a lot less and will be closer to getting a drysuit.

That being said, Puget Sound diving is doable in a kodiak or other semi-dry all year around. It will just not be as comfortable and pleasant.

You most likely won't be happy in a wetsuit. It is absolutely "do-able" but it won't be comfortable, particularly as you say you "get cold easily."

I found in 30 seconds on craigslist a woman's DUI TLS350 in Olympia for $400. IMO a bad cheap drysuit is still better than a good wetsuit, as long as the zipper and seals are reasonably good. Deals are out there! Find an experienced diver or dive shop you trust and go hunt for a decent used drysuit!

This is probably not the answer you were looking for, and I am sorry! :D

Good luck with your exposure protection hunt!

VI

thanks for the input. Id like to save for a drysuit, but i dont have the money right now to buy gear and a drysuit. Someday hopefully. I will look for a descent used one for sure. Does the Kodiak keep you plenty warm in the puget sound. if i were to get one i would buy a 3mil suit from pinnacle to put on underneath. would taht be good?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom