Wetsuit hanger with fan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking a $8.95 hair dryer from walmart on non-heat or low heat would move as much air (or more) and just stick it down the neck of the wetsuit and maybe bunge wrap to the wetsuit hanger.

I bet it would work better and save yourself about $40 bucks.

or... to make it better, get some vacum cleaner hose, make a PVC manifold and run hose down to chest, arms, legs cutting holes in the hose to allow more venting..

make sure you post pics if you do it!.

Agreed.
I got one of these HangAir dryers about a year ago. What a POS. The very first time I go to use it to dry my drysuit, it broke. The hook by which it hung was not curved enough to securely hold on the bar. While trying to hang the suit on it, I accidentally knocked it down and it broke into many pieces.

The plastic is very brittle and the design is flimsy. The fan blades broke off, the motor broke free of the hanger and the on/off switch broke. Not a very durable item at all.

My drysuit will usually air dry when I hang it in the garage, except for the attached booties, they can stay wet for days. I now use a cheap hair dryer with a low and cool setting. I duct-taped a long vac hose to it. I split the end of the hose with a pvc “T” and ran two shorter hoses for the legs. I place the hoses down the legs of my suit and run the dryer about 10 minutes and everything is dry. I don’t think the Hangair could dry the legs that quickly.

If anyone does own a Hanair, be careful not to drop it and I’d recommend you bend the hook into a tighter curve so it holds the bar more securely.

Michael

To each their own.

I bought a hang-air from my LDS for $40. Alot cheaper than the original $90 when they first came out.

I like it. I use it on trips, when I know it's going to be cold puting a damp wetsuit on the next morning. I don't use it daily, but it works great for those winter time trips to the springs. I hang it up on the shower rod at the hotel, turn it on high, and leave it till morning. I put my dry wetsuit on while others go to the hot showers to put theirs on.

I use it on my 7mil and it dries it completely.

I got one free with a 7mm full suit from my LDS and I like it. I throw my suit on it and it's dry for the next days dive. Of course the boots and gloves don't get dried since they're seperate so I am stuck with those still damp.

Another alternative would be a 12V fan like found in computers. They are brushless DC motors and don't generate ozone.

The power supply could be a leftover wall plug-in power pack (just be sure it says 12V DC, not 12V AC) or you could steal some 12V power from a desktop computer using a Y connector.

This may well be what is used in the Hangair DS ... but don't know for sure.

OK, im gonna tell you guys what i made. My inventions piss my wife off, because she says i rig everything. heres what i did.....

I took two 1/2 inch pvp pipes, a few 90 degree elbows, and a quick disconect from my air compressor. I basically built a thin rectangle, about 1/2' wide by 2' long. I used a small drill to make small holes spread out all over the rectangle. i connected the quick disconnect to the end of the rectangle. Then i just slide it into my wetsuit when its lying flat on my truck bed, hook my compressor up on about 20-30 psi, and let it run. Dries out my 5mm in about 30mins to an hour. when im travelling i just hook it up to my tire inflator pump that runs off the DC in my car.

I do have plans to build a standing hanger made in the same way, maby with a boot, hood and glove holder. Use a big sized pvc for the shoulders, like 3'' pipe for good support.

This is just what i did that works for me, cost less than 5 bucks in pvc pipe. Also regular hangers can stretch your suit, once i make a full rack it would be alot more support and minimal stretching.

hope that helps, let me know if anyone makes one :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom