Wetsuit hanger with fan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I get newsletters from leisurepro every now and then, and this morning I got one advertising a wetsuit hanger with a fan on it for $45.

I'm going to dutch springs tomorrow and I'll use a 7mm wetsuit because that's what the diveshop recommended. At the same time it's raining and cold outside and if this continues then I don't see my 7mm drying over night for Sunday's dives so suddenly one of these fan hanger gadgets is starting to appeal to me.

What do you you? Anyone used one?

Here's a linked pic:

I wouldn't buy one - waste of electricity for little benefit. Squeezing on wet dive gear may be initially unpleasant but you warm up within minutes.

90% of the sites I dive don't have electricity in the places where you hang gear to dry anyway.

I just lay mine over the side of my truck bed and it works fine. at home I just shove a little cheap desk fan inside it to dry it. Not worth the 45 bucks if you ask me.

take some extra towels and roll up the wetsuit in them, both right side then inside out. Soaks up a lot of water and jumpstarts the drying.

I'm thinking a $8.95 hair dryer from walmart on non-heat or low heat would move as much air (or more) and just stick it down the neck of the wetsuit and maybe bunge wrap to the wetsuit hanger.

I bet it would work better and save yourself about $40 bucks.

or... to make it better, get some vacum cleaner hose, make a PVC manifold and run hose down to chest, arms, legs cutting holes in the hose to allow more venting..

make sure you post pics if you do it!.

Well, I suppose if I was wealthy instead of a non-wealthy grad student I'd get one of those, but yeah, right now I'll try the towel trick. I still think it seems like a neat gadget.

I'm thinking a $8.95 hair dryer from walmart on non-heat or low heat would move as much air (or more) and just stick it down the neck of the wetsuit and maybe bunge wrap to the wetsuit hanger.

I bet it would work better and save yourself about $40 bucks.

or... to make it better, get some vacum cleaner hose, make a PVC manifold and run hose down to chest, arms, legs cutting holes in the hose to allow more venting..

make sure you post pics if you do it!.

be careful here - a hair dryer uses a brushed motor ... that means in use it gives off small quantities of Ozone ... blown straight into your kit.
Ozone degrades Neoprene, but actively attacks Latex ... if you have Latex seals using a brushed motor will seriously reduce their life.

It maybe that the Hangair uses an induction motor - but not found answer to that yet.

Not only that, but hair dryer motors are not designed for continuous use over any period of time, and they burn up.

Another alternative would be a 12V fan like found in computers. They are brushless DC motors and don't generate ozone.

The power supply could be a leftover wall plug-in power pack (just be sure it says 12V DC, not 12V AC) or you could steal some 12V power from a desktop computer using a Y connector.

Back
Top Bottom