Wetsuit for Pool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RowingMunkeyCU

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, I'm going to be starting up my OW class next week, and I'm thinking about getting a shorty just for the pool. The reason I ask is because I'm very thin and chill pretty easily (I'm 6'0" and 143 lbs). Possibly looking at a Pinnacle 3mm Spirit (probably a Medium).

It wouldn't really be used outside the pool, since I'm in Upstate NY and it wouldn't be particularly effective. Eventually planning on going dry once I get a bit of experience under my belt.

Any opinions?

Does the shop have a shorty you can jump into for the pool work?

A little more about your dive intentions would help.

Do you think you have the means to be making warm water trips that would give a nice 3mm suit some usage?

Don't guess on size. Trying it on is the only way to know.

Pete

I was at the pool last Wednesday to help out with The Dive Guy's seal team. I was in a full 3 mil wetsuit. I was chilled after 30 minutes and when our hour was up (I don't think we were in the pool for a full hour), I was cold.

Your profile doesn't show where you are. IMO if you're going to be doing mainly cold water diving, I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on small, thin wetsuits. I bought a full 3 mil and a shorty 3 mil on eBay used pretty cheap. I rarely wear them. But if you're somewhere where God is smiling down on you and warm water abounds, by all means, pay up!

I took both (3 mil full and 3 mil shorty) to Hawaii last fall (sigh- Lisa, sea nmf, I miss you guys!). I should have taken my 7-6-5. I was cold. I even wore my two 3 mils layered for the twilight and night dives. I was freezing on that dive.

I don't remember being particularly cold for the OW pool dives, though. Go figure. Maybe I'm getting wimpier as I age...

They might have one I could use (is that common?) I'll have to ask when I get down there. Probably not much for warm water trips, I may be in the Daytona, FL area next year for an event and be able to get some diving in, but I don't have much else planned for non-northern areas.

Just finished my OW class last weekend. The shop that put the class on rented us all the gear for our OW dives as well as the pool days. They wanted us suited up in the pool the same as we would be in the lake, so we could get our weights/buoyancy set, and to get used to wearing a wet suit.

If you plan to wear a wet suit for your OW dives, I'd think you'd want to take your class in the same one. Also, the chlorine in the pools is very hard on the neoprene. Get a rental for the pool if you can. No need to make your new suit endure the pool if it doesn't have to. :)

They might have one I could use (is that common?) I'll have to ask when I get down there. Probably not much for warm water trips, I may be in the Daytona, FL area next year for an event and be able to get some diving in, but I don't have much else planned for non-northern areas.

Most shops have rental wet suits.

Hey guys, I'm going to be starting up my OW class next week, and I'm thinking about getting a shorty just for the pool. The reason I ask is because I'm very thin and chill pretty easily (I'm 6'0" and 143 lbs). ... It wouldn't really be used outside the pool, since I'm in Upstate NY and it wouldn't be particularly effective.
I wear a full Microprene suit in the pool for OW confined water dives, and am still a bit chilled by the end of a long evening. Based on your self-description, I would agree with the suggestion to ask for, or rent, a full suit for the pool - possibly a 3mm. I just don't see the need to buy a shorty. Even for future diving in warmer water, a shorty might not have much utility. For open water (ocean) dives in warmer waters (Keys, Caribbean) I wear a full 3mm for water temps from the 80s down to low 70s, and am comfortable (plus, I have more skin protection). Below that, I dive dry. Given your location, and your description, it is unlikely the shorty would ever be used again, so why buy?
Any opinions?
Asking for opinions on SB is something akin to walking into a crowd of college students at a concert and yelling 'free beer, all you can drink!'.

It is ALL dependent on the temperature of the pool. Without that information no logical decision can be made. Do you know what it is?

I was at the pool last Wednesday to help out with The Dive Guy's seal team. I was in a full 3 mil wetsuit. I was chilled after 30 minutes and when our hour was up (I don't think we were in the pool for a full hour), I was cold.

Your profile doesn't show where you are. IMO if you're going to be doing mainly cold water diving, I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on small, thin wetsuits. I bought a full 3 mil and a shorty 3 mil on eBay used pretty cheap. I rarely wear them. But if you're somewhere where God is smiling down on you and warm water abounds, by all means, pay up!

I took both (3 mil full and 3 mil shorty) to Hawaii last fall (sigh- Lisa, sea nmf, I miss you guys!). I should have taken my 7-6-5. I was cold. I even wore my two 3 mils layered for the twilight and night dives. I was freezing on that dive.

I don't remember being particularly cold for the OW pool dives, though. Go figure. Maybe I'm getting wimpier as I age...

Truckergirl: How is Jeff doing. I just heard last week that he had a accident?....I hope he is alright.........Frank

Hey guys, I'm going to be starting up my OW class next week, and I'm thinking about getting a shorty just for the pool. The reason I ask is because I'm very thin and chill pretty easily (I'm 6'0" and 143 lbs). Possibly looking at a Pinnacle 3mm Spirit (probably a Medium).

It wouldn't really be used outside the pool, since I'm in Upstate NY and it wouldn't be particularly effective. Eventually planning on going dry once I get a bit of experience under my belt.

Any opinions?

looking at what you state is your height/weight I would recommend a 5mm full suit..You WILL get cold in the pool even if it is heated to 80 degrees. Do not waste your $ on a shorty.You can purchase a decent 5mm full suit for not much more than what a high end shorty will cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom