Wetsuit for Hawaii in Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I usually dive the Caribe in a 3mm and will be taking my first Hawaii trip in February. What water temps should I expect and what suit should I bring? I've heard 3mm, 5mm and 7 mm. Help??? Thinking of running 3mm with a skin underneath. Also tropical fins or my coldwater fins with boots? gloves, hood etc. I run dry in really cold water.

I would get at least a 5mm or a compressed 5mm if you cant handle colder water. I was there last feb in 2009 and that water was only 74 degrees. I was using a 3.2mm body glove but had to put on another 3mm shorty on over the top of that. cold water boots also everyone on the dive boat wore at least that and a 3mm. it will make for a better dive if you do wear a little bit more. the water in Hawaii is a little cooler than you might thingk. Cayman water and such is at least 8 to 10 degrees warmer that time of year. Hope this helps.

I suggest you search in the Travel/U.S./Hawaii area. I have been diving in the Islands many times (from Calif) and I expect the water temp in Feb to be about 75 degrees. For me, that is a 5mm with a hooded vest along in case it is needed. But that's just me.

Last edited:
I went to Hawaii last year in Feb and brought my 5mil which was perfect. I didn't need a hood and I get cold pretty easily. If I remember correctly, the water was around 75 degrees

I use a full 3mm with booties and no hood any time of year there and don't ever get cold even on 90 min dives. 75-80 year round.

which island?

O'ahu rarely gets colder than 77, Maui a little cooler, Big Island cooler yet down to about 73-74 (not sure this year though). 3mm full is normally good enough, just leave the suit on for till you are toasty warm in the sun post dive. If your doing night dives, you'll probably get mildly chilled post dive

wear booties 3mms are fine, its generally fairly coarse coral sand that can hurt without something on, if your actually paying for a boat you'll still want the warmth.

Water temperatures were 74-75 on Maui at Christmas/New Year's. The crew on the boat told us that last year it got down to 71-72 by mid-March. Personally I'd plan for a water temperature of 73 degrees (if you're going to Maui) so if its a degree or two warmer or colder, you'll be covered.

Local Oahu diver here, water temps are hanging in the mid 70's so I suggest at least 3mm, if not a 5. Also, gloves and boots since the rocks can be quite sharp and not fun to walk on in bare feet with scuba gear on.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom