Wetsuit for Diving Destin Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReelDuel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well I have read a ton of post on this topic. I understand that every person is different but someone should be able to say what thickness works/popular for most people diving in the northern gulf of mexico. I would also like any advice you have on pricing and what to look for in a quality suit. I have noticed prices from $50 to over $300. Is there really that much more quality? I noticed that their are new fabrics that seem to make suits more costly. I finished my certification a few months ago and am in the process of purchasing gear for my wife and I. So I am trying to get the best for my buck as I am sure everyone tries to do. Thanks for the help

Fred

Hey there.

The Gulf has some wild temperature swings over the seasons...I've had dives at 62F and others at 82F. Having said that at an average temp of 68-76F you can use a 5mm suit quite comfortably. A hooded vest like the 5/3 from Henderson can be a good addition to a 3mm suit as well.

I swear by the Bare Velocity suits (and I use some Henderson pieces):

Bare 5/4 Velocity Progressive Stretch Full, Men's from LeisurePro.com

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

-J.-

Destin can require all kinds of different suits.

In the winter months, most would prefer a drysuit. in early spring, a drysuit or a thick wetsuit.

In march/april/early-may, I'd wear my 5mm in Destin. At the end of May it might be warm enough for the shorty, but typically a 3mm in between. In the summer months and early fall, the shorty or a vest is fine.

however, there are some folks that dive 3mm or less all year round in the panhandle. Just goes to show that some folks tolerate colder water better than others.

As for a $50 to $300 wetsuit price difference, you usually get what you pay for. the more expensive ones are typically stretch suits or thicker. geting a thicker suit that is a stretch material sure does make it easier to put on/off. the thinner suits or shorties it's not as much as an issue. some suits also are lined with terri-cloth or heat reflective lining, such as the Henderson GoldCore. they hold heat better.

you're prob going to end up buying a couple different suits. such as a 5mm, a 3mm and a shortie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom