Wetsuit for 70 and 80 degree water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CodLips

Reaction score
Hey we're going to West Palm FL in January and Great Barrier Reef in March and would like to have just one exposure suit. For people who get cold easily (like me) what do you recommend for diving in 70 degree water? In 80 degree water? Can I make one suit work for both -like with a core warmer? What brands do you recommend? Henderson Hyperstretch seems great but is expensive. Akona makes a 7mm for less than half the price. Any experience with this suit? Is 7 mm too much for 80 degree water? Cheers!

Well, I've had my SeaQuest Isoflex 3/5/3 full (5mm torso/thigh/upper arm; 3mm calf/forearm) in water from <50F (not really recommended) up to 84F (in a pool). I wouldn't say that I'm one who gets cold easily however. I'd think that whatever suit works for 70F would also work for 80F. You can always let in some water to cool down! You could always have a hood if the cooler temps are just a bit too cool for you.

What temps do you (have you) dive(d) and what exposure protection made you confortable?

-Rob

Cod,
May I suggest a 3/2 one piece suit. I purchased a 3/2 Neo Sport one piece from Divers Supply and love it. It handles the springs (70-72 degrees) and summer ocean dives in the Gulf (84-87 degrees) very well.

I like a 7mm for 70-degree water, but I'm one of those gals who's always freezing. I'd go with a 3/2 for 80-degree water, just because I dislike wearing the extra weight I need with a 7mm. But I'd think you could use a 7mm for both if you wanted.

I too would wear a 3mm or a 3/2 in water between 70 and 80. If it was 80 and the air temp was above 80 I'd probably be more comfortable in a 1mm fullsuit or a 3mm shorty. Warmest I've dived is about 75 water temp with 85 air temp, and my 3mm was comfortable for 45 minutes in the water.

For most people a full 3/2 mm suit is good for about 76-78 and up. At 70 degrees I think your definitely looking at a 5/4 mm full especially if you are going to do a couple dives in a day. Another option is to layer a 3/2 with a thin hooded vest under it. Yes, just like you parents told you do lose a lot of heat through your head, so adding even a thin hood makes a big difference.

However if you get cold easily your probably better off just getting a 5mm.

For brands I would take a look at Bare wetsuits http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/divedept.asp?dept_id=25010, they make very good quality suits that are affordable.

Paul

There is such a wide variation of what one diver will wear. When I'm in 80 degree water, I always have my full 3mm suit on and wear my little beanie. Much below 77 degrees, I add my little sleeveless step-in over my full suit. I know that I couldn't go below 75 degrees with this configeration. It's all so individual.

Hope that you stay toasty warm,
SWT

When I'm in the Bahamas or Florida I wear a 5/3 fullsuit if its 75 or below and a 3/2 fullsuit if its warmer. I also wear a beanie, it makes a big difference.

All of my diving at home is in a Drysuit :wink:

70 - 80 is pretty much the range that I dive in an I wear a 3 / 2 year round. In my opinion the brand really doesn't matter, just find one that fits.

I would wear a full onepiece 3mm in 70 or 80 degree water. In 80 degree I might just wear a 1mm skin. In 70 degree I would probably add a beanie to the 3mm.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom