wetsuit for 58 degree waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I dive both wet and dry I prefer to be wet in temps above mid 50s F. The majority of my dives are made in New England waters with temps ranging from 38 to 72 F. There are a number of factors to consider including: budget, lenght of dive, depth of dive, number of dives etc. pay attention to depth as a 50' dive at 58F maybe comfortable; while a 90' dive at the same temperature may not be. Personnally I would opt for more rather than less thermal protection. I don't like the extra bouyance and bulk associated with a two piece suit so I use a one piece with an intergrated hood. My choice of wet suit is XCEL Polar Quad-Density 8/7/6/5 wet suit. I have used this suit in 48f at 100' and it kept me comfortable.

If your going wet, then get a very good suit ... one made with Rubatex Rubber is the best, it does not crush as much as other rubber, and stays undamaged from deep dives or use .. Wetwear is one manufacture that uses it ... Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities ... do some research on it, and them.

At 58f I'm going to say 7mm suit, 7mm hood, good 5/3mm gloves and 5mm boots (real boots with arch support, not booties .. personal opinion)

......sounds like you're going to be diving 'BONNE TERRE MINE' ......am I right ? :) I've never been there, but have dove temps about that low a few times......I don't own/dive a drysuit, although I've kicked the thought around a little......but do own/dive assorted wetsuits.....I'd say that dive is reasonably doable in a full 7 mm suit/hood/thick gloves/dive socks/full height thick booties, especially since they will be doing guided tours where you are swimming along and generating body heat that way. I prefer One-Piece full suits, not farmer-johns, less chance for water to 'penetrate the hull' as it were....and make sure the suit fits REALLY well/snug and you can easily tuck in alll the spots water 'penetrates the hull' (tuck in hood/gloves/booties under wetsuit)...also, make sure the wetsuit isn't old/fatigued as aged neoprene has lost most of it's insulating capacity with repeated exposure to being crushed at depth, destroying the little insulating gas filled bubbles within the neoprene.

I would choose my 7m full suit, hood and gloves normally. I could use a 5m, but it would be limiting (1 dive, shallow depth only). Any colder and I wold use a 7m FJ+Jacket to get another layer of neoprene. When in doubt, always go thicker than needed, getting colds sucks.

I have a Xcell 5/4/3. It is 5 mm in the upper body, 4 mm in the lower body, and 3 mm in the legs and arms. Since it is 3 mm in the arms and in the legs it is easier to get on and off in my opinion. I live in TN. and dive in the 55 deg. water year round in it (quarrys mainly). I have dove with it in 80 deg. water and it is not to hot.

Bonne Terre mines huh? You'll probably want to dive a 7mm suit with gloves and hood to stay warm in that water.

I dove Bonne Terre a couple years ago.....used their rental 7mm farmer johns with hooded vest, gloves, booties etc and STILL froze my @#$ off!! All the dive guides are diving dry.....you will need the best 7mm you can get and you will still freeze if you do multiple dives.

Go do it, it is an interesting dive but I swore I would never do it again until I had a dry suit....and now I DO!!!

And here is a pic of it!!

Attachments

• S2010407.JPG
    S2010407.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 66

Back
Top Bottom