wetsuit for 58 degree waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am not dry suit certified and would like to dive a flooded mine system. I want to know what kind of wetsuit would most people prefer in 58 degrees? Do you think a 5 mm would be enough for you? I understand its a personal preference that is why I would like to know what YOU would prefer.

Thanks -

S-H

I have dived in a 7mm with hood in 58 degree water but that would be about my limit. I am, however, from the South and slender as well as 66 years old. Other divers can tolerate much colder water so the answer is that it just depends on you.

For me a 5mm suit would not be warm enough in 58 degree water. But I get cold very easily too.

5mm might be OK for 1 short, shallow dive; but you will probably be cold. I wear a good 5mm with an added 5mm hooded vest for that kind of temp and it is OK for under 40 minutes and less than 40 ft. Deeper or longer, I add a chemical heater and/or warm water primer. If you are talking going over 60 ft, it is going to be cold even with more neoprene; and forget about a 2nd dive.

drysuit only, get certified, you will never look back. i have done that temp in a 2 piece farmer john 7mm but its not very fun.

and... a flooded mine system? is this overhead diving? if so are you cave certified? i'm guessing not... overhead diving, especially in a cave-like environment is extremely dangerous and you need heaps of training to even have a clue as to how to handle the dangers. otherwise you're as good as dead.

just my little disclaimer, if its not overhead, excuse me. or if you are cave certified, excuse me, though i'd guess you'd know what suit you wanted if you had that much training.....

I've actually done short dives in 58 degree with nothing but swim trunks and a tee shirt...

However, Drysuit is definately perferred!!!

Farmer John 7 or 6.5 if going wet.

Back
Top Bottom