Wetsuit Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mlipowski

Reaction score
I would appreciate some advice for a first time wetsuit purchase.
I am interested in buying a full length 3mm or 3/2 wetsuit for "warmer" water dives, like the Florida Keys, etc and little bit of surfing.
I am considering:
O'Neill's Reactor 3/2
O'Neill 3000X 3mm
Bare Velocity 3mm and
Bodyglove Blur 3/2
It appears that the Bodyglove is the only one that has glued & blind stitching. How important is that for warmer water dives and does anyone recommend one of these suits over the other? Thanks much.

I've have many Bare suits in my arsenal and they have never let me down.. The quality is fantastic fit is usually great off the rack and Warranty excellent:) I would recommend the velocity suit :D

Len

What Welshman said, absolutely. Plus... some wetsuits are designed for diving, some for surfing. There isn't an enormous difference, but a surfing wetsuit should allow you more mobility, especially round the shoulders, whereas a diving wetsuit can feel like a neoprene coffin, at least while you're on land.

Zept

has anyone used the Scubapro scotia ???
I'm looking to get one for cold water diving (diving in europe well Ireland to be precise??) Anybody got any comments on it???

Peter

I have 2 Bare suits. They are both excellent (for me) in fit and function. I have the 3/2 and the 5/3.

You can check them out at Bare

Leisure-pro has the best prices I've seen on Bare suits!!
If your worried about fit and buying on-line, they have a 14 day Satisfaction Guarantee. You can check them out at Leisure-pro

BTW Welcome to the boards!!:)

I honestly don't know much about wetsuit prices or anything, but you might want to check out NRS for their wetsuits. I own one, and so do several of my friends.

They're made specificallly for kayakers, meaning that the arms and legs are pre-bent, they're very tough, and they're unusually flexible, allowing a lot of mobility. I use their 3 mm farmer john when the water gets above 65 degrees (which doesn't happen in many places around here) and LOVE it. Their prices seem entirely reasonable to me.

Good luck :)

-Jon

PS Most of NRS' wetsuits are glued and bind-stitched.

Body Glove suits are good, but they are made for surfing and not diving. They are great for recreational diving (i have one myself) but instructors have a problem with the neoprene "thinning out" from compression after a while. If you are only diving on weekends or whatever...they are fine. But, if you will be in the water constantly you may want to go with another brand. Just wanted to let you know that.

I just purchased a Tilos Platnum 3/2 and freaking love it. It kept me very warm in the Keys this month. They are kind of pricey at $199 but I paid dealers cost of $99. Last time I dove with a 3/2 with my not so old Deep Heat wet suit I got cold. All dives were in the 79 to 80 degree temp. range and were for an hour or so. I get cold easy and thats why I wear a Drysuit for anything between 36 and 73 degree's.

Back
Top Bottom