Wet Suit vs Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter:
So... it sounds like a dry suit is more "maintenance intensive" than a wet suit. Is that true or am I misinterpreting that?

Yeahm, that's it, it's not that I am lazy or anything ... :)

Actually, not really all that much more. All it takes is draping it over something, and rinsing it really well (with special attention to valves) with the hose, and letting it hang dry. Doesn't sound like much as I write it, but after a beach night dive......seems much easier to toss the suit in the tank and worry about it later

headhunter:
Just out of curiosity, when your wet suit wears out and you get around to replacing it, would you replace it with a really nice one or would you just get a cheap "beater" (for lack of a better term) for your purposes?

I'd wait for Dive N Surf to have their yard sale and get one. That's how I've bought all my wetsuits. Body Glove are not the best (IMHO), but they have a lifetime seam and zipper warranty. I think 7 mils are less than $200 at the sale, although it's been over a year since I bought one, so I am not sure. I do want to stay relatively warm when diving wet, so I want some quality.

If I wanted a really nice one I'd go custom with JMJ or AquaFlite

Chris

Great! Thanks Chris. That helps. I may go for a two step process. First, get a new less expensive wetsuit, but not an "el cheapo". Second, do the research necessary, save up for the dry suit I really want and not "settle" for anything less than exactly what I need.

Christian

headhunter:
Great! Thanks Chris. That helps. I may go for a two step process. First, get a new less expensive wetsuit, but not an "el cheapo". Second, do the research necessary, save up for the dry suit I really want and not "settle" for anything less than exactly what I need.

Christian

No worries. And if you are taking DIRF it might pay to wait. I have a buddy who bought a Bare Next Gen drysuit for like $800 or something, maybe 600. He is now a GUE tech I grad, but by the time he changed the suit and made it the way he wanted (pockets, different dump valve, better seals....) he paid nearly DUI money for it.

Chris

ChrisM:
No worries. And if you are taking DIRF it might pay to wait. I have a buddy who bought a Bare Next Gen drysuit for like $800 or something, maybe 600. He is now a GUE tech I grad, but by the time he changed the suit and made it the way he wanted (pockets, different dump valve, better seals....) he paid nearly DUI money for it.

Chris
That's exactly why I think I'll wait until I'm more educated on the subject. I'd rather buy what I need the first time than have to modify it again and again and run the price up.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom