Wet suit tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just recently picked up a second hand wet suit (7mm farmer john w/jacket - can you say freebie?). The fellow I got it from is a tall slender guy. I am a short and stocky. Thanks to the elastic nature of neoporene, the suit fits me pretty well. However, the challenge is getting it on in the first place.

Being a newbie diver, I still struggle with the basics. I was wondering if there are any good tips on how to put on wet suits. I heard a guy mention using either cheap shampoo/conditioner to "lube" things up and keep things smelling nice and pleasant. I wasn't sure if that was a practical joke/imagination run amuck or if it was a real piece of veteran wisdom.

How do you guys manage to get your thick wet suits on without causing self inflicted injuries?

Some people use a concoction of shampoo and water delightfuly referred to as "snot", some people use plastic bags, and some people, after a while, just figure it's too much of a hassle to have to carry "snot" and plastic bags and use the old tried and true method - "gruntinsweat".

the K

I have a Bare 7/6 Velocity (new, 'cause I'm a newbie also), and the glideskin seals in it make it kind tough to get on sometimes. I just turn it almost all the way inside out, and then kinda just roll it on. Also, it seems to be a a bit easier if both the wetsuit and I are wet.

You could also get a dive skin - I don't have one, but I hear they help.

The suit snot is particully helpful when you're hot and sweaty, especially of you suit hase seals or gaskets.

In general the suit wants to be right side out. Get one foot in up to the knee and get the knee pad positioned JUST RIGHT. The get the other leg on just up to the knee. The suit will not be hanging from your knees and is effectively inside out. Roll the suit up the legs and up over your buttocks. Make sure it's now up to your crotch just right. Then either strap the shoulders of the John or punch into the arms of the full suit one at a time. Make sure they are worked right up onto the shoulder before trying to zip it up.

If with some practice it's still a hassle you have the wrong suit.

Pete

gruntinsweat and CUSSING. Mine won't go on until I cuss.

Carbon

When I had one of those damn suits, I used diluted hair conditioner. I finally got tired of it and got a better fitting suit without that annoying foil lining.

Get a dive skin. It saves the hassle of "grunting" and also keeps the bruising down. I use to get bruises when I pulled on the thicker suits. The snot made me itch.

On one of my first dive trips, it took my friend (she finished her OW at the same time I did) almost 20 minutes to get her 5mm wetsuit on. (seals in the suit, large thighs from running, etc.) After doing this 2-3 times, she was ready to give up diving. A DM student heard her complaining about her suit and lent her her skin for the next dive. My friend got into her 5mm in less than 5 minutes. She was amazed. I bought a skin for myself as soon as we got back from that trip. HEAVEN !!!
With a skin you also have something to wear when you don't need thermal protection, just skin protection (warm water diving). That is all my son and I used recently in the Keys. (you can get some great patterns or colors in skins, as well. See Dive Goddess.)

I wash my wet suit with fabric softner and then after it dries I sprinkle some baby powder into the inside.....it glides right on.

Peace

It does seem to help to put it on in the water. You need to pull the chest out and scoop up the water and let it trickle down. It still isn't easy, but it helps. I wear a skin, too, which helps somewhat, but if it's a brand new wetsuit, I'm told there "ain't nothing" that's gonna help much until you wear it some. A friend told me that the Henderson Hyperstretch suit is really easy to get on. I haven't tried one yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom