Wet suit thickness verses comfortable water temperature.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
What is the range of water temperature that is comfortable with a 2.5, 5, and 7 mm wet suit? Granted there are many variables but a ballpark idea would help. I have a Parkway 2.5 mm and it is very comfortable in the 79 deg F pool (without a hood or gloves). I am thinking about purchasing a 7 mm wetsuit for colder water but would like to at least get some idea what water temperature this would be appropriate for.

Thanks,
Mike

I did a one hour dive on the weekend in 52 degree water with a 7mm suit - only started to feel cold towards the very end. I've done shorter multiple dives in the same water without noticing the cold. A lot of people at the sames sites use drysuits though, so I'm guessing this is starting to get a lower temp limit for the wetsuits.

I've been looking into this question pretty heavily myself in the last few weeks. What I am starting to notice is that the quality of the suit itself seems to me to have far more effect on what its temperature rating is than the suit's thickness.

Along these lines, how is temp range to suit thickness measured? Is it purely trial and error? Has ANY scientific calculations been made? or experiments been done? Or is this information more a collection of informal polling much like we are doing on this thread IE: "Hey. what suit size you use and when do you get cold in it?"

Has any one ever done a comparison of Depth, Suit thicknes, Body fat/mass, Depth and Bottom Time?

The Rodale's arcticle link posted earlier in this thread was very informative but only offered lip service to the "semi-dry" issue. Took me awhile to find it but the Mares Isotherm Millennium 6.5mm semi-dry appears to be rated: "Ideal temperature range:• Diving 38-70 degrees"

Any further refference sources would be appreciated.

Looking to bundle up,

Spydertek

PS. For all you dry-suit affectionados out there, no offense, but on this particular question advice to "forgit-a-bout-it and dive dry if you want to go cold" isn't constructive. :)

Stone,

Thanks for the link that is what I was looking for.:)

Anyone care to comment on the accuracy of the table versus reality?

SpyderTek,

To elaborate on your point, as soon as I get a spare $2K for the dry suit (and required training), not to mention any of my current equipment I may have to replace, I'll consider it! In the meantime, back at realityville, I hope I can get a quality 7 mm suit for $250.

Thanks,
Mike

I will give you what would have helped me when I was looking for a wetsuit. I have a 5mm Henderson Goldcore. Over the weekend I was diving in water 72 degrees. It leaks pretty good up the back, but I keep pretty warm in it. I am 5'10" and 190 lbs. If the weather is warm (80-90) then I would be fine in that. This trip the weather was more in the 60s and 70s, and I ended up getting chilled and then I wore a Henderson Goldcore vest/hood 3mm/5mm and I was toasty in that.

It would be really hard to get scientific because so many variables are in the picture such as body type, proneness to cold, ability to be cold and comfy, multiple dives, temp, wind/chill, current which takes heat away, depth one is going and thermoclines, etc.

Hope this helps. It helped me just reading actual people's real time usage of wetsuits. I have been to about 53 degrees before but not for long.

I agree overall the drysuit is by far the best option but also pricey. Much more versatile, potential to be safer as backup buoyancy, and less compression at depth.

Hope this helps.

Tommy

I've got a full john 7mm Oceaner, 5mm gloves, hood and boots. The coldest I've been in is 36F on the surface. It was a short dive and I had no problems with cold. As well, I've done a two tank in 52F water and been comfortable. If it's chilly, I'll wear panty hose under the john and maybe a t-shirt or 1mm vest. I have friends that ice dive wet in 7mm.

My DM dives a Mobius and has found of late that he gets cold. His next will be probably a Whites neoprene dry.

I've been diving a Bare "metalite" 7mm farmer-john/shorty combo in 54F water. Pretty nice suit -- it's nice and supple, stretchy, easy to doff and don, and very warm. I haven't really gotten cold in it yet in under an hour.

For various reasons, though, I'm seriously considering a DUI or White's drysuit soon. :D

- Warren

I have been diving a 6.5 mm Farmer John for almost a year now in the northeast. I haven't gotten cold yet. However my wife who dives the same in an ill fitting rental (for the last time) gets chilly a lot sooner. I think that the warmest the water got last year was 57 degs. We have dove in the forties.

I think it is the fit that means the most, if you have water transfer a lot you are going to be cold. My wife ordered a suit because of the fit. a little more expensive :( If you are going to be more than a casual diver go for the fit. The better fitting suit may cost a bit more (75$ more for a custom for wife) I think it is worth it for the ENJOYABLE bottom time.

My opinion, nothing more. I am a newbie but I'm a warm newbie :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom