wet suit thickness for June trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbaraff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trying to gauge which wetsuit to wear on a June trip to Belize. Before you say, "Oh, you don't need a wetsuit in June at all," please know that I used to dive Hawaii at 78-degrees in a 3mm, but have recently switched to a 5mm, because I'd come up too cold after an hour in a 3mm --- shivering, often. (I don't move a lot under-water these days.)

So if a 5mm is just comfortable in Hawaii, will it still be OK in Belize? I'm figuring it's at most 5 degrees warmer in Belize, probably less, so maybe it's not too much? I only need an extra 2lb of weight diving a 5mm over a 3mm, so I'm figuring being warm is worth the weight. But will I be too warm?

What do DM's in Belize who dive all the time wear? (I notice that a lot of DM's in hawaii are wearing 5mm or higher...)

Unfortunately, only YOU can answer this question...and it sounds like you already did. You said you need a 5mm in 78* water. Google the average water temp for the month you'll be there and base your decision on that info. I doubt you'll be too warm underwater in a 5mm, but you might on the surface. Probably just the opposite in a 3mm.

Either way...have fun & be safe.

Reactions: Doc
The better question is "What's the water temperature in June?" since comfort is so subjective.

I've dived Belize in four or five Junes and typically found the temperature to be a toasty 80 to 84 degrees. While I wore either a 2mm shorty or just a bathing suit and t-shirt, there were always divers wearing 3mm full suits, including dive guides, and they didn't seem uncomfortable. I don't remember ever seeing anyone in a 5mm, but I wasn't really looking for it.

When in doubt, take both.

Reactions: Doc
It's a relative. I've been to Belize a few times around Memorial Day. Even with 80/82 water, I still prefer at least a 3mm shorty. In August the water is 86 and then I prefer just a short sleeve rash guard. A few degrees makes a big difference between people.

My wife and I just got back yesterday from San Pedro and dove 6 days of the 11 we where there. Since we could not decide how cold my wife would get we took 3/2 mil full, the body is 3 mil and the arms and legs are 2 mil. She had no complaints, said she got a little warm a few times. The coldest water we saw was 81 f at 70 feet.
On the other hand I got very warm on the first dive and just did a lycra body suit.

My wife and I took a trip to Belize in June of 2012. Looking back through my computer it looks like the temps were around 85 degrees at depth. We used short-sleeve rash guards and bathing suits only. My body tends to run a little hot anyways but my wife gets cold quick. We were both fine.

We dove off of Ambergris Caye with Yobubba's shop. Fantastic service and great trip overall!

Water must be warmer up yobubbas way. :D

I can't recall it ever being that warm at depth in June July.

Regardless, I'm usually comfy in my 3mm and when a bit chilly I add a chillguard shirt under my wetsuit and that makes me about the perfect temp without having to add any neoprene. I'll add to that, by saying I also often add a hood which really improves things.

All that said, my advice to the OP is to take your 3mm, a light hood, a chillguard and something to wear on the boat to keep you warm between dives. It is unlikely that you'll need the latter but better to have and not need than need and not have.

And yes, Elbert, many of the dive ops only rent shorties, but to my mind that's more about dive op cost management rather than what a diver really needs to keep them comfortable.

The above posts hit the point. The question to ask is what the water temps will likely be. Only you can know what to do with that information.

What do DM's in Belize who dive all the time wear? (I notice that a lot of DM's in hawaii are wearing 5mm or higher...)

And here you hit on the other most relevant point. The DMs anywhere are in the water a lot. They achieve lower core body temps on a regular basis. What they decide to wear is beyond irrelevant for comparison. Understand as well that many DMs are wearing whatever they can scrounge up. They aren't exactly wealthy and they do put a whole lot of wear on any suit of neoprene, the UV from the Sun and more abrasion than any suit we own.

Belize can offer you multiple repetitive dives, unlike your Hawaiian experience. Repeated immersions during a single day can really affect your core body temperature.

Is that the kind of diving you anticipate? Reading what you have said, I'm thinking you might want to bring that 5mil. If you are "too warm", unzip the suit and let in a gush of cool water. Remember- if you are an "unusual size" (on either end of the scale or height), don't expect an easy time finding rental rubber.

Back
Top Bottom