Wet Suit Sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP, I agree with the above comments to try any of the superstretchy wetsuit fabrics. I had a very hard time finding a wetsuit that fit, once they fit the chest, everything else was too loose.

One suggestion is not to get too attached to what size you/she thinks she is in clothes, just try, try, try. I am 5'10", one of my dive buddies is 4'9". We wear the SAME size wetsuit. She just needs it to stretch out a little, I need it to stretch up. I can wear all of her equipment. I ended up getting a Henderson Hyperstretch and treated myself to the tall, which is still too short for me.

On my liveaboard, there were 4 of us ladies who had very different looking bodies all of whom wore the same Henderson HS wetsuit. The whole week we kept putting each other's on. The only way I ever knew was when the legs came mid calf.

She isnt too worried about clothes size vs wet suit size. A size 10 suit seems to fit her, and would fit her even better if we can find one in a short size. Again Thank You for the input on this topic.

I have a similar challenge: new diver, want my own wetsuit because rentals never fit, 5'3" and about a size 14, shaped like a woman not a surfer girl. I needed a suit that allowed for curves, let me feel like I could breathe, and had arms and legs bigger than a twig so I could get in and out of the suit without wearing myself out with the struggle.

I tried on a Henderson with the Hyperflex fabric (don't remember model/details). At first I thought it was great because of the stretch and so easy to get in to. But after trying on others and walking away and trying it on again a couple weeks later, I realized that the cut of the arms was very uncomfortable. It was not particularly attractive either.

I bought the Xcel Thermolite 3/2 and I love it.
The chest fits so that I can breathe, the arms are comfortable and provide great range of motion without making my arms feel tired from fighting the cut (esp important while taking photos), it is easy to get on and off without a struggle or help. I've worn it about 16 times so far in warm water (84 degrees). It was perfectly comfortable so that I could put my attention elsewhere.

The only drawback was that there is not a short version. So, I folded the cuffs back a few inches each and I don't think that affected the comfort. I'm thinking of getting it altered just to save time and get in the water a few seconds sooner!

Good luck!

Careful about folding back the cuffs, you might be eliminating the seals at the end of your limbs, causing water intrusion, thus making your suit less warm. You're better off (IMO) of just pulling the arms (and legs) up a bit and letting them wrinkle along your limbs. You certainly wouldn't notice water intrusion in 84 degree water, but definitely will when you dive in 79 or less degrees.

Congrats on finding the perfect wetsuit!!

Careful about folding back the cuffs, you might be eliminating the seals at the end of your limbs, causing water intrusion, thus making your suit less warm.

Thanks for the tip - I'll double check next time I'm in. I didn't notice a problem so far.

The suit does have real nice wrist and ankle seals (even though I fold them back) and that's why I'm hesitant to get it tailored. The wetsuit maker/tailor I talked to about tailoring said that she wouldn't add or replace the edging because it would take away the material's ability to stretch. I'm afraid tailoring it will make it worse about letting the water intrude.

Back
Top Bottom