Wet suit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know this could go under exposure protection but I figured it would get more readership here, and hopefully more replies.

I have a 1/4" (about 6.5mm) Action plus shortie and farmer John. When I put on both I'm wearing about 25lbs of lead to be negative. My BC is only rated for 25lbs so it has a hard time keeping me up. I normally dive with just the shortie, but then I end up with bare legs and the Pirana sunfish grab legs hairs and pull :eek: I am also concerned about diving in places like Cozumel with that much bare hide showing. I am thinking about getting a Henderson microprene and a Scubapro 5mm to go over it for the cooler water lakes around here. This would, thickenss wise, give me about the same exposure protection except across the chest where I have a 1/2" but thats ok. Thoughts, opinions, am I on the right track or could I do something better?

Tom

Did you get to look at the Xcel wetsuits while we were at Sand & Sea?

If not, go back and talk to Harold. This is one that I am going to purchase. They have more standard sizes to fit the different body types and the features built into them are very nice indeed. And the price is better than Henderson.

Tom and Mike,

I also own a lycra skin and a Henderson Microprene. In y'alls opinion what do I need to add to the wardrobe to dive the Terrell location comfortably? Will a 5mm do or do I need to go all the way to the 7mm?

OBTW Mike, I just picked up a pair of those water-skiing gloves at Wal-Mart. Thanks for the tip!

Jimbo

Tom,

Due to the structure of the board and the way things are posted, you won't get anymore readership posting it here than if you would have posted it in "Women Only" or in "Rebreathers" The Board is non-discriminatory in its postings and all are treated alike.

Hope this helps in the future.

ID

That depends on two things.

1) How well do you tolerate COLD :cold: water. If you handle cold well the 5mil may be ok otherwise go with the 7mil.

2) Do you really want to go to the bottom of the springs. There isn't much to see down there, and its really cold. If your happy swimming with the fishies then stay around the 25-30ft mark and the 5mil will work just fine..

Iggie Don... I understand that, but not everyone visits all the boards. I was trying to consider which boards the most people visit. I guess I was off base. Sorry

Tom

Jimbo;

I dove a 3mil with a polartec lined shorty skin with a beanie and gloves, and while I did feel the cold against my face, I didn't get chilled to the point of being uncomfortable.

So like some of the folks that went with us, it depends on your personal tolerance to cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom