Wet Suit layers for handling 70 to 85 degree span

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surfing wetsuits have a few differences that make them less suitable for diving. They are really just meant to b used on the surface, and are cut differently around the arms and neck for greater mobility and comfort. They also use a softer neoprene that will compress more at depth and lose its warmth. Better to get a suit at is intended for Scuba. Having said that, O'Neil makes some great suits for diving. Look for their Sector suits with the Firewall lining.

I do find that layering under a wetsuit is very effective for extending the comfortable temperature range. For warmer water, I'll bring a 1mm hooded vest to wear under my full length Bare Velocity 3/2mm to reduce the chill during the last half of a week of intensive diving. For somewhat cooler water, maybe down to 73 degrees, l use a Lavacore layer underneath my O'Neil 3mm. That combination, along with a Lavacore hood has kept me warm on 90 minute dives in the Mexican Cenotes.

Even a rash guard can add a little warmth when worn under a wetsuit. Other options could include a polyolefin top or full length rash guard under the suit. A base layer helps reduce water movement inside the suit, especially under the zipper, and helps more with warmth than one might think. Layers that are neutral buoyancy won't require extra lead to sink.

Thanks Aquavelvet, good info.
I wanted to share that i had my first CW dive yesterday and went well (not just informative, but was fun). Anyway, i just wore my swim trunks and i have to admit, i was a little chilly at times, and here's the reason: instruction time. While practicing, swimming, diving etc, i was fine. But of course, the main point of this is to learn, so you spend much of your time standing in the pool with the instructor detailing what we'll be doing next and making sure all divers understand etc.

I'm not complaining here - i think that's the point. Just explaining what i found out about warmth so far. Also, i liked your advice (and that of some others) about wearing a hooded vest. I was already considering that to assist with the cooler times of year. But now i'm considering getting the vest first. I could wear it while in the training pool for just that little bit of extra warmth. (It really seems plenty warm in the pool while moving.) And then, when i finally send all my stuff down to Florida, well, this will be a smaller item than sending the full wet suit. Thinking that way anyway.

Sorry, but another question.. I do want to support my local dive shop, as well as the one near where i'll dive in Florida. But not really looking to waste a ton of money either. (ie. i'll buy some stuff from them, not all) Do you guys tend to do the same - buy some stuff online, some from the dive shop? Also, does anyone buy stuff from used sources, like ebay? I bet there's no more "hardly used" item for sale out there than athletic equipment (mostly well-intended work-out machines). So some good deals can usually be found, if cautious.

Hi @JAB110 ,

I dive all year in SE FL, water temperature ranges from high 60s to mid 80s. I want to stay warm and often do 4 dives of an hour or more per day.

I dive a full 3mm from the 80s down to the high 70s. I dive a full 5mm from the high 70s to the low 70s. I dive my full 7mm from the low 70s down. I always have a 5/3 hooded vest to wear if I'm cold in my full suit. Wearing gloves also helps if you are on the cold side.

If I were you, I would get a good full 3mm and a hooded vest to start. Add a full 5mm when the water cools. You may or may not need a full 7mm depending on your cold tolerance and your diving.

Best of luck, good diving, Craig

Whenever I need to make sure a piece of gear fits properly, I try to find a shop that carries what I want, and make the purchase from that shop. I've bought two drysuits a couple wetsuits and other soft goods from shops in my area. Things like regulators, tanks and other hardware I'm happy to save money by buying online. I'll also buy things like tanks and backplates used. Gear expenses can add up quickly, so I try to save money when I can.

I dive in a 3/2 down to 70F. For 70 - 85, I would just use a 3/2 or, if it's too warm for that, board shorts and a t-shirt/rash guard.

I went down the road of "layering". I started with a Lavacore "sleeveless full suit" (i.e. basically, overalls), a Lavacore long-sleeve shirt with hood, and Lavacore socks. Later, I bought a Lavacore short sleeve t-shirt. I still have all that stuff plus a 3/2 full suit, a 5/4, and a 7/5. And 2 drysuits.

Looking back, I would not have bought all the layering junk and not bought the 7mm wetsuit. I would use the 3/2 as my default. If I want to be warmer than that, I'd wear the 5/4 (or my drysuit). If I want to be warmer than that, I would just wear my drysuit. I have used my drysuit in water that was 80 degrees and was very comfy. To me, a 7mm (or the 7/5 I have) is thick enough to be kind of a PITA. But, my 5/4 is only slightly noticeable as being thicker than my 3/2, so I don't mind wearing it at all.

In your case, if you think you'll be warm enough in a 3/2, then I'd say to just go with that and use only that until you find a need to do something different. Too warm? Ditch it and just wear shorts. Too cold? Get a 5mm suit. If you think you'll be somewhat cold-sensitive, then start with a 5mm. If it's too warm in 80 degree water, ditch it for board shorts.

Also, be aware that even with 3mm or 3/2 suits, there is a wide range in terms of how warm they are. I researched a bunch of suits and ended up buying a ScubaPro EverFlex 3/2. It is one of the warmest suits I could find in the 3 mm range. That is because it has:

- Glued-and-blind-stitched seams. GBS seams are waterproof. Flat stitched seams are not.
- Glideskin (i.e. smooth neoprene with no nylon layer on top) seals at the wrists and ankles and neck.
- a rubber pad behind the main zipper. This helps seal that area to keep water from circulating right through the zipper.

The net effect is that not as much water circulates in and out of the suit as with other suits that don't have all those features. From what I've seen, a lot of manufacturers treat their 3mm suits as if any diver using one of those isn't worried about trying to be warm, so they skimp on some or all of those features. It's really dumb, to me, how some manufacturers put seals at the wrists and ankles, but not the neck. Or some other weird combo. For the warmest 3mm wetsuit, I would look at the EverFlex, the Waterproof brand suits, and the Bare Reactive suits.

Also, to be clear, NONE of those features is as important for warmth as a good fit. A suit that fits really well and has none of those features could still be warmer for you than a suit that does have all those features but doesn't fit you well.

My (real) surname is Irish. I have roots throughout the British Isles and Northern Europe.

I'd already thought your user name was clever, now even more so!

How's your Neosport wetsuit holding up? I'm looking at a "Premium" (not X-Span--read too many bad reviews here on SB) 7/5mm or (most likely) a 5mm. I read one bad review and it was from a fellow "old-timer" who said it started to fall apart rather quickly. Everyone else gave it at least four stars.

A wetsuit is one thing I would never buy online, unless I was ordering custom fitted with lots of measurements, or they had a great return policy. Everyone’s body is different and there is no real standardization in sizing, you gotta try it on. The thicker it is, the more it gas to fit you right. Also please check out this thread, your life may depend on it:
Close call in the dressing room

How's your Neosport wetsuit holding up? I'm looking at a "Premium" (not X-Span--read too many bad reviews here on SB) 7/5mm or (most likely) a 5mm. I read one bad review and it was from a fellow "old-timer" who said it started to fall apart rather quickly. Everyone else gave it at least four stars.

Checking my log, I have about 25 dives on the Neosport 3/2, about 50 dives in my 7mm freediving suit, and around 40 dives in my 3mm freediving suit. Plus a handful of dives in a rashguard or just swim trunks.

The Neosport 3/2 has lost some of its elasticity but is still usable. I would guess I'll get another 25 dives out of it, maybe more. The 7mm shows some signs of seam wear, and the 3mm is like new.

I usually use the 3mm suit for shore diving in Minnesota unless I anticipate temperatures below around 65 degrees, at which point I switch to the 7mm. Lately more of my local dives have been in colder water. The 3/2 is faster to get in and out of so I usually use it for tropical boat dives. It's not nearly as warm as the 3mm freediving suit, and is only comfortable down to around 72-77 depending on air temperature topside.

I'm fairly small, 5'7" tall and 150lbs. I few extra pounds in the middle, but not considered heavy I think. Probably about average flexibility, but i'm in my 50s, so not like i once was.

You’ve pretty much described me there. Most of my diving is in the 65-80 range. I wear a 5mm semi-dry and gloves. I then layer a hood or hooded vest (both Probe Insulator) as required. I also have a 3mm wet suit for tropical trips where it gets over 80.

I guess they just don't make wetsuits the way they used to--thick, stiff, hard to breathe, but very durable. My old 1/4" nylon-two-sides beavertail Farmer John suit probably has 2000-3000 dives on it and I'd still be wearing it if it hadn't shrunk so much (well perhaps it didn't shrink and I grew).

I think perhaps I am expecting too much in a wetsuit these days.

Thanks for the detailed info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom