wet suit for snorkeling in St. John

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CZC

New
Reaction score
Hi,

Scubaboard looks like a great resource. I found it looking for info on wet suits, and am hoping somebody can advise me.

I'm trying to decide betweenan Xcel 3.2mm full wetsuit and an Xcel 2.0mm shortie. I'll be snorkeling in St. John in November, day and some night snorkels; probably no diving this time, but who knows? The local divemasters suggest the shortie, but the salesperson at my local dive shop thinks I might get cold, especially at night and on cloudy days. Also, the womens 6 shortie fits great, but the same size in the full suit was too roomy in arms in legs, so I got a 4, which is not the size recommended for my dimensions (6 matches almost exactly). The salesman says it fits well, and it was comfortable, not constricting. Does this sound OK, or is it just fitting because it's that stretchy material, and could be a problem if I gain a pound or two? It would simplify things if I just got the shortie, but I don't want to be down there cursing myself as I shiver in the water...

Thanks for any help!

CZC you may also want to consider a 1/2 mil skin suit. I use them in the tropics, fiji, and hawaii where the water is warm. We carry 3/2's also and sell at ton going into diving season.

We'd be happy to help either way.

Happy Diving

Welcome to ScubaBoard, and the choice of wetsuit is a very personal one. If you get chilled easily, and intend to make more than one dive in a day go with the long sleeve, long leg suit. I like a shorty in the tropics, but I tolerate the cold better than most. Another consideration, in the tropics there will sometimes be small jellyfish, hard to see but painful a full suit gives more protection. A full suit can prevent sunburn on those all day long dive trips in the tropics. As far as size and fit. . . No two manufacturers will be close to the same. A wetsuit should be snug to be effective. Thin suits like these have lots of stretch. Try other brands on for fit. Also ask your local stores for a custom made suit. A little more money, a lot more comfort, and choices of color combinations. It sounds like good advice from your local dealer, but also it sounds like he doesn't have a brand that will fit you better. Try looking for other brands another local dealer might have.

I prefer the full suit and the extra coverage doesn't kmake that much difference to me in heat, but the extra protection is great and it offers me more options in day/night/ warm/cooler conditions.
Don't go for the LDS sales pitch unless you are very comfortable with the suit. If it doesn't feel right to you try other brands and stores. I see many stores telling folks "Yea that fits just fine", just to get your money." TRUST yourself...

Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

Howdy and welcome to SB!

I hate Shorties. All my suits are long.

It does help with discussions if you complete your Profile. And it's even more fun when you load an Avatar (personal pic for each post) and a Profile pic. See UserCP to access these if you'd like to...? :wink:

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom