Wet Suit for Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another suit you might want to consider is the Oneal J-Series. I am sure you could find one used for a reasonable price. I have been diving my since 2004 and have been down to 41 degree in a local lake when doing a January 1st dive. 7 mil with dual core with an attached hood, and welded seams. I have been very happy with its performance. Just my .02 cents

You're going have a very a limited choice with a budget of $250.00. Blue Water Aquatics in Mountain View is selling the Pinnacle Cruiser wetsuit 7/5mm one piece for $195.00. You'll just be slightly over budget with a hood. If you don't get cold quickly, you could squeeze by with only a hood but I think you will need a hooded vest.

Also Aquatics Discovery in Santa Clara is selling the H20 Coronado 7mm Hooded wetsuit for $200.00. I tried one of their rental units and did find it easy to don. It didn't fit properly so I can't give you accurate feedback on the suit. Although the lack of reinforcement on the inner seams gives me pause.

If you looked on line, you should find a hose of one piece wetsuits for under $250.00. Bare makes good wetsuits at an economical price. Difficult to know how it fits though.

Hope this helps.
Claude

What mm hood/vest are you all using? Sorry for the hijack!

Kathy - I was hoping to meet you (and a few other new folks) at the NorCal meet-and-greet, but sadly couldn't make it due to conflicts at work. :( Next time for sure!

Before I switched to a drysuit, I dove a Scubapro Everflex 7/5mm one-piece, with their 5/3mm hooded vest. That gave me 10mm on the core, 5 on the head, and 5 on the arms/legs. It is a very comfortable suit to move around in, and I didn't get too cold (a bit chilly on slow moving dives though). It's probably the thinnest wet suit I would be willing to dive in Monterey with though, and I'm not a tremendously cold-sensitive person.

Kathy - I was hoping to meet you (and a few other new folks) at the NorCal meet-and-greet, but sadly couldn't make it due to conflicts at work. :( Next time for sure!

Before I switched to a drysuit, I dove a Scubapro Everflex 7/5mm one-piece, with their 5/3mm hooded vest. That gave me 10mm on the core, 5 on the head, and 5 on the arms/legs. It is a very comfortable suit to move around in, and I didn't get too cold (a bit chilly on slow moving dives though). It's probably the thinnest wet suit I would be willing to dive in Monterey with though, and I'm not a tremendously cold-sensitive person.

Howdy neighbor! 1ft vis ya didn't miss much! Hopefully we'll meet soon! I have a 5mm Everflex (love it!) & nearly froze in Fla's 72F water! 7/5 brrr :shakehead: !

Still working the exposure suit out for Monterey, but got some great ideas & excited to join our local scene soon! :D

I went wetsuit shopping today.

FYI Aquarian in San Carlos had the Womens Oneil J series 7000 7mm (not semi dry) with hood & built in core heater for 1/2 price! Unfortunately they didn't have my size ;-(. Might be worthwhile calling to see if they have the men;s model. Think it was 50% off $350?

I'm currently using a 7mm wetsuit with a 3mm vest/hood. The only time I've felt cold is during a 48 degree lobos dive. A few times I've had a "hmm this water is cool" feeling while diving. Except for two days, I have to strip off the vest/hood between dives or I'll over heat during the SI. And as those who I've dove with can tell ya, as soon as I suit up I'm making a bee line for the water.

I believe it's been opened for 1-2 years. I happened to see it when I parked my car the SJ International long term parking.

There's another dive shop called Pacific Coast Divers near Bailey Avenue in South San Jose/Morgan Hill area. It's in the middle of the fields close to a cluster of homes. It's an unusual place for a scuba shop.

Claude

I went wetsuit shopping today.

FYI Aquarian in San Carlos had the Womens Oneil J series 7000 7mm (not semi dry) with hood & built in core heater for 1/2 price! Unfortunately they didn't have my size ;-(. Might be worthwhile calling to see if they have the men;s model. Think it was 50% off $350?

DUI TLS 350 drysuit small womens with undergarment

If you're like the vast majority of local divers, you'll be happier in one of these. I take my drysuit everywhere the water is colder than about 72 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom