wet breathe reasons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solly

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If someone is experiencing wet breath, what might be the problem? I know the advise would be get the regulator serviced, but I want to know what is the most probable cause for having water mist in the air... There is no leak (breathing with the regulator not attached to a tank reveals no leaks) and it occurred with tanks filled at different places hence it is not the air inside the tank issue.

thanks !

Usually it's just sand in the exhaust valve that a good rinse will cure. A failing mouthpiece is also an easy one for the user to fix.

Beyond that a case crack is possible.

Most regulators will breathe a little wet when upside down.

Pete

There is no leak (breathing with the regulator not attached to a tank reveals no leaks)

I think what you are saying here is that you can put the reg on a tank with the valve closed or off the tank but with the dust cap on securely, and when you try to breathe on the reg, you cannot pull any air. Is that right? If that's the case, the only way for water to get in the reg case is when you exhale and open the exhaust valve, a little water leaks in. It's pretty common. You can try replacing the exhaust valve but it might not make much difference. It's probably much worse when you're upside down, correct?

I think what you are saying here is that you can put the reg on a tank with the valve closed or off the tank but with the dust cap on securely, and when you try to breathe on the reg, you cannot pull any air. Is that right?

Yes
If that's the case, the only way for water to get in the reg case is when you exhale and open the exhaust valve, a little water leaks in. It's pretty common. You can try replacing the exhaust valve but it might not make much difference.

this is puzzling, do you mean that even if the exhaust valve is the reason, it might not be fixed?
The reg is new and it does this since the first dive with it. I can't feel lots of water in the air I breathe, however I tend to have aspiration syndrome as I finish the day (fever, bone aches and sometimes cough)

It's probably much worse when you're upside down, correct?

I will try this next time I dive !!!

If you have done a water tight check as you and Matt have described with no discrepancy found; then I would suggest replacing the mouthpiece. In fact, as you mentioned this is a new regulator probably with a cheap mouthpiece. Try a known good one from your old regulator and see if it solves the problem. It may just be a matter of water getting past the seal between your mouth and the mouthpiece.

Good luck and please post your findings,

Couv

...Solly, are your regs side-exhaust regs (Poseidon) ? It's not uncommon for people who have side-exhaust regs (like Poseidon...or the Oceanic Omega) to observe/complain about 'wet breathing'. While I've never experienced 'wet breathing' with my Jetstreams, I know other divers have commented on this 'problem'. I do know that Poseidons are harder-than-average to service/set-up-properly. Assuming you've ruled out a problem with the mouthpiece, it's highly likely a 2nd-stage diaphragm problem. I'm not a reg tech, and am not in a position to trouble shoot a reg in Egypt :) ...so you really need to find someone locally who's a Poseidon expert.....either the expert can get you sorted out...or you will just have to live with the problem. Personally, I wouldn't tolerate a reg that behaved that way...that made sick whenever I went diving...so if it can't be 'cured' I'd sell it, take a $ loss, and move on to another brand. While I will say my Poseidons have always been reliable and never given me any problems...I will add I probably wouldn't recommend Poseidons to another diver who asked me for an opinion on what reg to buy....they are just more work/effort involved than the average diver would tolerate. If you end up in the market for a replacement reg, I will say my daily diver regs for the last few years are Atomic Aquatics (M1) and Apeks XTX 200......both are outstanding/reliable/high-performance regs.

...Solly, are your regs side-exhaust regs (Poseidon) ? It's not uncommon for people who have side-exhaust regs (like Poseidon...or the Oceanic Omega) to observe/complain about 'wet breathing'. While I've never experienced 'wet breathing' with my Jetstreams, I know other divers have commented on this 'problem'. I do know that Poseidons are harder-than-average to service/set-up-properly. Assuming you've ruled out a problem with the mouthpiece, it's highly likely a 2nd-stage diaphragm problem. I'm not a reg tech, and am not in a position to trouble shoot a reg in Egypt :) ...so you really need to find someone locally who's a Poseidon expert.....either the expert can get you sorted out...or you will just have to live with the problem. Personally, I wouldn't tolerate a reg that behaved that way...that made sick whenever I went diving...so if it can't be 'cured' I'd sell it, take a $ loss, and move on to another brand. While I will say my Poseidons have always been reliable and never given me any problems...I will add I probably wouldn't recommend Poseidons to another diver who asked me for an opinion on what reg to buy....they are just more work/effort involved than the average diver would tolerate. If you end up in the market for a replacement reg, I will say my daily diver regs for the last few years are Atomic Aquatics (M1) and Apeks XTX 200......both are outstanding/reliable/high-performance regs.

hmmmm, I have jetstreams !!! seems this is a known issue.. did anyone find out why? my reg is brand new.. does this need to get serviced ??? We have 1 authorized poseidon tech guy that I will give a visit but if you have any info about the cause of the issue just let me know....
thanks

The side exhaust thing makes sense; if water gets in the reg through the exhaust valve and it's a side exhaust like poseidon, you're going to notice the water more than if it's a conventional reg with the exhaust valve on the bottom. That's because the bottom exhaust regs can tolerate a little water in the case and it never reaches your mouth, it just drains out the exhaust valve.

Poseidons are expensive and supposedly very well designed. Surely they must have some means of dealing with wet breathing.

hmmmm, I have jetstreams !!! seems this is a known issue.. did anyone find out why? my reg is brand new.. does this need to get serviced ??? We have 1 authorized poseidon tech guy that I will give a visit but if you have any info about the cause of the issue just let me know....
thanks

....as described, side-exhaust regs have a design 'flaw' that can sometimes cause the problem you describe. Honestly, I don't know if your problem can be fixed....my Poseidons are not 'wet'....I don't know if I'm just lucky or if my reg techs are 'good' and know what they are doing. If your local tech really is an expert, rely on him to get things 'right'.....which might include expert examination/service and maybe a fresh diaphragm.....diaphragms on regs do age/warp....I know even Apeks had issues with defective/warping diaphragms on some of their older units.....beyond that, I'm out of ideas.

From the Poseidon Manual at:
http://www.simplyscuba.com/pdf/ScubaManuals/Regulators/POSEIDONmanual.pdf
FAULT: Second stage valve takes in water
PROBABLE REASONS / REMEDIES
Diaphragm defective / Replace diaphragm
Mouth-piece cracked / Replace mouth-piece
O-ring not fitted or defective / Fit or replace o-ring
Foreign object under exhalation diaphragm / Clean
The switch defective / Replace the switch
The o-ring under the switch is defective / Replace the o-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom