Wesuit help!!!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dabiz7

Registered
Reaction score
We are new to diving and do not hav emuch experience with wetsuits and such...Is there any benefit to wearing a lycra bodysuit to help aid in putting on a 3mm or thicker suit? Will it bunch up and bind or is it really a necessity to "slide" in a , say 5mm one-pice, wetsuit?.....any tips will be appreciated

I think (although I'm new too) that it really depends. My SO has no problem getting his 3mm on his skinny bod. I have a hyperstretch that just glides on... but I know when I've had to rent suits, I sure wished there was some way to make it easier!!! I wore a rented 7mm in PV last year... ugh....lycra, ky jelly... I would have taken WHATEVER!!! :) but now I have my henderson... and I'm happy. I"m sure you will get alot of opinions from much more experienced folks here.

And welcome to the board!!!

dabiz7:
any tips will be appreciated
Get a suit that fits properly. As was posted above, I have been using a henderson Hyperstretch for the last 3 years and for a wetsuit, I would not trade it on anything.

There are other brands that have similiary stretchy material and I am sure they are equally as comfortable. But, I will say again, no matter what type or brand, fit is what its all about.

Dive skin, lycra bodysuit, pantyhose, anything that will allow the wetsuit to glide easily will make you a much happier camper. I always wear a dive skin under my wetsuits even the one that goes on relatively easily. Thumb loops on the sleeves and a heel strap of some sort on the legs helps prevent ride up and can easily be "installed" by someone who doesn't sew.

Hope this helps!
Ber :lilbunny:

you don't really need one on a 3 mil...but it does help a bit on thicker suits, especially if they don't have the stretchy material.

Although if you are using rental suits - I would consider it a MUST...as a lot of people pee in their suits..but for your own suit, I would try the suit on a couple of times and see how easy it is to get on without it, unless you've got cash to burn on an undersuit..

Another approach that some of us use is a bottle of "suit snot". There are several recipies for this, but mine is about a 1 to 3 dillution of Suave Aloe hair conditioner in water, mixed in a cheap spray bottle. I've never needed it for my 3mm, but it helps alot for heavier suits.

Get a Ziplock freezer bag and slip it over your foot, push through and then do the other one. Next, do it to your hands. Don't forget to take the plastic bag with you when you leave.

Suit snot's a blessing at times. On back to back dives it makes lie easier on the gloves and booties, one spritz per glove and they slide right on even wet. I use it on the upper body when wet as well and it's easier on everything. Vanilla Suave to 2 parts water is what"m using. If the concentration is much higher it will spray poorly and clog the pump.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom