western cunukers going

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have not booked anything solid yet, but looks like we will be flying Calgary, Toronto and then onto Cancun. If there were enough of us on the flight from Toronto, we could hook up and rent a van to take us to the ferry.

Shopping for appealing itineraries and fares has become a hobby for me, as I hate to pay more than I have to or spend more time in an airport than necessary. This thread may help you some:
Check air fares to Cancun, and some cautions on finding air fares

Flying in & out of Cozumel is always preferred to the bag-drag from Cancun, but sometimes it looks too challenging and/or pricey. CAD and USD are virtually the same today, so I won't worry about which is which.

From Edmonton...

United has an itinerary leaving Saturday @ 3:32pm, 2 changes, overnight in Houston, arriving @ 11:35am for $831. :mad: Yuck! The return is as bad; we can do better, surely!

Ok, United has another a little after midnight on Sunday, still 2 stops, 13 hours going, 21.5 hours returning, for $949. No thanks.

Next, Untied leaving after midnight, 2 stops each way, 13 hours going, only 10 hours returning, for $1046 - but only 1.25 hours to clear customs & immigration in Houston and get on the next plane~!

Let's look at Cancun! Ah ha! West Jet - know anything about them? You might want to check their site for luggage allotments/fees and more, but it sure looks better! Leave a little after midnight, change once in Toronto, avoid stopping in the US and hassles with out customs, immigration and TSA - always best, arrive Cancun at 1pm. Lunch at that airport is not bad really, and you'll be at the hotel well before dinner. Returning from Cancun at 1:50pm allows plenty of time to get there, nice connections, back at 11pm, for $656. Looks like a winner to me.

From Saskatoon...

OMG, I don't even want to talk about what United wants to do to get your to Cozumel: 3 changes each way, overnight each way, for $967, $1088 if you want to arrive Sunday! FAIL!

You could do Westjet at 6am, 2 changes, into Cancun at 5:20pm - hey, I have does worse thru Cancun and still made the 8am boat the next day. Return is 19 hours with one overnight connection for $671 :shakehead: I hate overnights in airports, but sometimes you gotta do it to dive. You can go with only 1 connection each way, but that's $761. Always out to get ya' huh?

Ok let's look at Calgary - what, 384 mile drive? Not so bad for ramasule, but are you sure you want to start there?

United, 2 connections and overnight each way but to Cozumel for $784

Looking at Cancun...

USAir at 3:30pm Saturday, 2 connections, overnight in Phoenix, connecting in NC - wow, arriving Cancun 1:40pm. Returning at 12:50pm because the 4pm return is too tight in Phoenix, for $562 - nice fare to make up for the wild ride.

This is crazy...!​

Wait! Let's look at "Multi-city" or Open-Jaw: American leaving Calgary at 7am Sunday, 1 connection, into Cancun at 3:15pm. Return from COZUMEL at 1:40pm, 1 connection, back at 9pm for $719. :cool2:

Ok, well I hope that gets you started. This may all change by the time you look, but take a look. Getting from Cancun to Cozumel by bus and ferry is easy enough, as described in my link at the top. I would not suggest trying to meet in the Cancun airport tho, as that could be too tricky unless you're on the same plane in.

Oh, I don't remember if I put this in the other thread or not, but luggage carts are free in Cancun, arriving or departing, and you do not have to use a porter. Not so for Cozumel, but Cancun is a larger airport so can come in handy.

From Saskatoon...

OMG, I don't even want to talk about what United wants to do to get your to Cozumel: 3 changes each way, overnight each way, for $967, $1088 if you want to arrive Sunday! FAIL!

You could do Westjet at 6am, 2 changes, into Cancun at 5:20pm - hey, I have does worse thru Cancun and still made the 8am boat the next day. Return is 19 hours with one overnight connection for $671 :shakehead: I hate overnights in airports, but sometimes you gotta do it to dive. You can go with only 1 connection each way, but that's $761. Always out to get ya' huh?

Ok let's look at Calgary - what, 384 mile drive? Not so bad for ramasule, but are you sure you want to start there?
QUOTE]

Lol , Ya I have to start at Calgary, picking up my sister, who lives there. and as for the drive I do it at least twice a month in a truck, it's even faster in the car.
West jet is the way to go, but make sure you do check with them they have tightened the restrictions on luggage.

Hey everyone, I am flying from Vancouver to Cancun direct for just under $700 return. I figure the trip from Cancun to Cozumel will be just part of the excitement of going on vacation! It's the return home ... leaving Cozumel taking ferry, bus and then flight that is going to be horrible!!!

Hey everyone, I am flying from Vancouver to Cancun direct for just under $700 return. I figure the trip from Cancun to Cozumel will be just part of the excitement of going on vacation! It's the return home ... leaving Cozumel taking ferry, bus and then flight that is going to be horrible!!!
Dang I overlooked that non-stop. :( Glad you found it ok. Always learning here.

Different eyes see different things. Always good to do your own lookin'...!!

Last edited:
I never fly into the states. I always go via Toronto or direct. Westjet is very accommodating. Right now a flight can get me to Cancun at 1:30pm on the 12th is $666.27c that's a great price. Leave Edmonton at midnight, the place is dead then. Land TO 6:30am, reboard 9:30 sleep to Cancun. Maybe take Mayair, not sure right now usually wait until I get there. It's easy to get a 25$ cab ride to the ferry.

It's easy to get a 25$ cab ride to the ferry.
Oh really? I've only done it once, the other way, and I was evacuating in advance of a massive hurricane at 6am so I just paid - split the $60 fare with a honeymooning couple with hardly any luggage as I took most of that room.

For first timers, a taxi to Playa del Carmen is less than an hour and you get a look at that city after buying your ferry ticket and checking your bags in. Don't miss the boat tho. Then at Cozumel, get a private cab for the same price as a packed airport van. :thumb:

Depart
426 Edmonton to Toronto 12:50 6:25
2580 Toronto to cancun 10:00 13:00

Return
2581 Cancun to Toronto 13:50 18:55
405 Toronto to Edmonton 21:05 23:08

My fights

Back
Top Bottom