West Caost vs. East Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both Baja and the Gulf have their own things going on, their own grain of aquatic life. You might want to try both before permanently planting yourself in either area. Depending on where in Florida you would be there are also some interesting cave diving opportunities at both Peacock and Bonnet springs, although I wouldn't recommend them to anyone without experience. For my money I love the diving in the Bay Islands (Roatan, etc).

Also, to be truthful I've never been deeply involved with timeshares but everytime I hear the word a red flag goes up. From what I hear messing with those things is even more dangerous than scuba diving. Many divers may return safely to the surface only to be swallowed up by timeshares on land. I had to do a few google searches for my business a week or so ago and this site came up, www.timeshareconsumergroup.org, plus a collection of articles all detailing why timeshares are a lousy way to go. Something to consider looking into. Like with your diving decision, I would do the research before jumping into the water.

Nudgeroni:
And we're no small potatoes in New England.

Isn't the Gulf our *South* Coast?

I'll second that and from what the So Cal crowd says our water's not much colder right now either!

Pete

I live on the gulf coast and travel to the Altanic side of the state for most dives. Gulf Coast dives tend to give you a lot of travel on the water to get to the sites. I have been to the Keys, Miami and Pompano and these places get you onto nice wrecks in 60 to 100 feet of water in 30 to 45 min. I would also talk to divers about diving tips before talking to the salesman about buying a time share and the diving you will enjoy.

Nudgeroni:
Isn't the Gulf our *South* Coast?

Where I live, it's the west coast. I can dive east and west coast in one day, I love it.

Allison Finch:
No, diving off Tampa leaves much to be desired.

As does diving anywhere. There is no one place that has it all. That's why we travel to dive in different locations. If you like big fish, the Gulf is pretty hard to beat. I love diving the Gulf. I also love diving SE Florida. I love diving the Keys. I love diving California's kelp forests. I love diving the Sea of Cortez. I even loved diving Siberia. There is great diving in lots of different places, the Gulf may not be your bowl of cherries, but you're missing on some incredible experiences.

Dived Keys, Hawaii, California, Baja, British Columbia, and Alaska. Keys and Hawaii are nice, but kelp diving is simply the best in the world (IMHO of course) Keys was utterly boring. Perhaps I hit it on a bad week

I have found in general that moderate/cold water diving is infinitely more interesting than warm water diving

My rating would be
California
BC
Hawaii
Baja
Fla

So it's not your bowl of cherries. I think it's some of the best diving I've ever done anywhere in the world. It's certainly not for everyone. As a sixth generation cracker, I know where Sarasota is. I would have described it as just north of Osprey.

I personally recommed the Fl panhandle for diving,there are springs and great shore dives. The Al coast has a few shore diveable wrecks as well. I can not compare it to the west coast as I have not been yet. I do prefer Florida to Cozumel for diving. Much closer to home and cheaper to get to. Plus there is the Mighty O. I would love to dive the kelp in Ca. but that will have to wait. Any dive that I can get is a great one in my opinion. Better then sitting at work typing on SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom