we're all friends here... let's talk p valves and sensitive bits...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I measured and used the bard sizing guide when I purchased them and the size I ordered (because I was in between ) I ordered the smaller one and I have ordered a 3 pack of the next smaller size just incase the issues was shrinkage :oops:.... I will be diving this weekend so I will try the skin prep and the original size and the next day skin prep and the next size down.

I measured and used the bard sizing guide when I purchased them and the size I ordered (because I was in between ) I ordered the smaller one and I have ordered a 3 pack of the next smaller size just incase the issues was shrinkage :oops:.... I will be diving this weekend so I will try the skin prep and the original size and the next day skin prep and the next size down.
The only "skin prep" I do is I shower, and then I put on my cath right after I'm dried off. That prevents (in my case I guess) any skin oils from accumulating before adhering the cath to your parts. I've done this first thing in the morning even if I don't dive until the afternoon and it works for me. Also, you don't want the cath so small that your head can't get into the dome part of the cath, so make sure that part fits in, and then squeeze all around the shaft after everything is in place to get all the glue contacted.

The only "skin prep" I do is I shower, and then I put on my cath right after I'm dried off. That prevents (in my case I guess) any skin oils from accumulating before adhering the cath to your parts. I've done this first thing in the morning even if I don't dive until the afternoon and it works for me. Also, you don't want the cath so small that your head can't get into the dome part of the cath, so make sure that part fits in, and then squeeze all around the shaft after everything is in place to get all the glue contacted.
If I'm being honest, I don't prep either. I take a shower the night before a dive (well... every night really) and don it 1st thing in the morning with my thinner undergarments. I've never had an issue and the catheter ius almost painful to get off after diving all day.

I don't sweat as much as I see some guys and I like it ice cold in my room at night, so maybe that helps... idk. But it's easy enough to tell someone who's having issues to prep beforehand.

I may be in the minority, but donning after showering first thing in the morning hasn't produced a highly reliable bond for me. I'm going to consider the possibility someone mentioned upthread that soap may leave a residue. I'll give the prep-wipes a try. I have a box--never used it.

I'm in the shower, dry, apply group as well. Done 12 hours without issues (drive to the site and a long day of diving, took a little bit longer to find a little privacy afterwards).

I may be in the minority, but donning after showering first thing in the morning hasn't produced a highly reliable bond for me. I'm going to consider the possibility someone mentioned upthread that soap may leave a residue. I'll give the prep-wipes a try. I have a box--never used it.
Use liquid soap or body wash

All great advice thank you all. The issue I have been experiencing is that it seems like with no kinks I tend to get separation the first time I go. is this a sizing issue or just a prep issue with the skin ? or possibly a combination of both?
Could be any or all.
Measure your width flaccid. Drop down to the next smaller size.
They come in 45, 40, 35, 32, 29, 25, and 23mm.
If you measure at 35mm, buy a 32, if you measure at 32, buy a 29 and so on. If you need the 45mm after dropping down a size, we can't be friends.
It should be a snug but not uncomfortable fit. Apply in the morning after you shower and let it dry well. Don't use fancy soaps with moisturizers. If you have a water softener, clean it again with some rubbing alcohol.
If you still have issues with it coming off, try a product called skin-prep. You can get the pads on amazon. It will stick after you use that. When you are done diving for the day, if it is still stuck incredibly well, just cut the tip off and remove the rest in a warm shower later.

Tip of the cathether, not the tip of your junk!!!
That is what I meant, but really either option would work.

Back
Top Bottom