Went to the ear doc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utediver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I always have to hang out awhile at 10-15 feet to equalize my ears. Eventually I get the job done and can resume my dive but it is quite frustrating. Decided to go to an ear doc to see if there was anything wrong. Everything checked out fine. Hopefully I get better at this with experience. I only have 10 dives. The doc recommended sudafed and some sort of nasal spray. Other that that guess I will just have to deal with it. One thing that was interesting is the doc did not seem to hip on diving. He asked if my wife dove and when I said no he said she was smart. Said he has seen and heard of quite a few diving related injuries to the ears.

I always have to hang out awhile at 10-15 feet to equalize my ears. Eventually I get the job done and can resume my dive but it is quite frustrating. Decided to go to an ear doc to see if there was anything wrong. Everything checked out fine. Hopefully I get better at this with experience. I only have 10 dives. The doc recommended sudafed and some sort of nasal spray. Other that that guess I will just have to deal with it. One thing that was interesting is the doc did not seem to hip on diving. He asked if my wife dove and when I said no he said she was smart. Said he has seen and heard of quite a few diving related injuries to the ears.

Awesome. Why don't docs ever say "I don't know, but I'll find out"?

Here's a couple of links to some actual information on equalization:

Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page

DAN Divers Alert Network

If you're feeling generous, you could forward them to your doc, although you probably shouldn't embarrass him, since you'll need him to sign your medical forms now and then.

Terry

One thing that was interesting is the doc did not seem to hip on diving. He asked if my wife dove and when I said no he said she was smart. Said he has seen and heard of quite a few diving related injuries to the ears.

The doctor kind of insulted you and I would change doctors. I would search for a ENT who caters to divers. They do exist.

I was prescribed Nasacort CQ and it worked wonders for me. That and an anti nasal drip pill. I also noticed that using the product "Auro dri ear" liquid in my ears after each dive helps a lot too.
Just I would dive on the side of caution with sudafed, while i was taking my OW course I read in my book that back in 1990's a study was done with sudefed, and they concluded that it can increase the chances of seizures underwater. There haven't been any more studies on the subject since then. So take it as you will.
:coffee:

1) You want to contact DAN to find a dive savvy doctor in your area. That duffer is not what you need.

2) Do you Equalize daily? Regular equalization will train your ears to respond. Also the art of equalizing involves sneaking up on your tubes with just the right amount of pressure. In any case regular practice does wonder.

On dive day do it on the way, when you arrive when you set up, when you get in the water, just before going under and on each breath while you drop.

There are other options and this is worth watching.

Pete

It really is a good idea any way to have a diving doctor as your family physician. They know way amounts of extra stuff about colds flu sinus and ear difficulties etc that also relate to above water humans and are also able to solve non pharmaceuticaly.

I had some trouble at the start of diving also and got stuck getting down especially around the depths you mentioned. I wateched this video and spoke with Dr.Kay who basically told me in an email most likely there was nothing wrong with me it was my form something I was not doing properlly. I watched his video and found out he was correct my trouble was I was actually not putting enough force to properlly equalize. Ever since then I can sink like a rock if needed no more ear troubles at all. Same thing with my G/F also it help if you pressurize your ear's just before your head goes under. As it makes the equalizing process easier (According to Dr.kay) it all works so far.

Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page

One thing to keep in mind is to equalize before you feel you have to. If you feel the pressure it can be quite hard to equalize, or at least that's what I found.

You can use Sudafed, but be warned. If it wears off during the dive, you can get a reverse squeeze.

I almost quit diving because I could not equalize very well. Try all of the different techniques. When you find one that works, practice it before you go diving. Diving will be a lot more fun once you figure out equalization and relax.

Whenever you have health issues involving diving, always contact DAN.

My wife has serious sinus issues that can also affect her ears. She uses a prescription nasal spray call Flonase (pricey, but there are generic alternatives) once a day, starting a week before the trip, then through the trip, and a 12-hour Sudafed every day. No problems.

Back
Top Bottom