Wells Marine O2 first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t service any regs myself. The regular shop I go to for Apeks service doesn’t do O2 cleaning. Leaning towards just using the WM.
Your shop doesn’t do O2 cleaning? That’s absurd!

Your shop doesn’t do O2 cleaning? That’s absurd!
It’s not “my shop.” The one I consider “my shop” is two hours away. That shop doesn’t do Apeks, though. This shop is a primarily warm water shop near my office that does some minor Padi tech stuff. They won’t O2 clean tanks OR regs.

It’s not “my shop.” The one I consider “my shop” is two hours away. That shop doesn’t do Apeks, though. This shop is a primarily warm water shop near my office that does some minor Padi tech stuff. They won’t O2 clean tanks OR regs.
Very ridiculous as O2 cleaning mostly consists of washing your hands and using tribolube.

I don’t get this hate for Apeks. My XTX50/DST SM regs are fabulous. The only consistent issue I have is screwing them into valve is frequently a PITA. Others here have had the same problem.
We have 4 of them that came with our rebreathers. They have nothing but issues and annoyances.

Curious here, who is rebuilding them and what parts are they using?
I had a ton of issues with the blue kits. I haven't seen any failures yet with the white paper envelope service kits.
Apeks made some secret changes to the service kits and since then our issues have resolved with blown seats. Of course now I'll have one on my next dive. Apeks still will not acknowledge there was an issue or that they made a change in service kits that resolved most of the issues.
After dealing with multiple blown hp seats I got fed up wtih Apeks. Then you add other issues such as how annoying they are to screw on and off of valves, I just have no reason to ever own anymore. At some point I will likely pitch them and switch to other regs on my rebreather. I wanted to try apeks for years after being a scubapro fan my entire dive career. I was really hoping I'd love them since most people do. But they wore out their welcome on me.

edit: I just remembered after typing all of the above that the very last dive I did on my ccr about 5 weeks ago ended in a blow hp seat. But it was one of the regs that hadn't had a new service kit installed in it. I dropped off at the reg shop in High Springs and he did the work. Hopefully no more issues. But yeah, Apeks can go f themsleves.

@rddvet

Yep, the valve screwing issue is a PITA. I’m always shocked how easy it is to screw in my Dive Rite backup set. I’ve been tempted more than once to sell the Apeks just for that reason and buy another DR set.

Rebuilds were done by four different techs (2 at divers supply in Georgia, one local and another in Sarasota), but two of the seats were on regs that were less than a year old. I'm pretty sure they used the blue kits, the quiet recall went out last year.

Rebuilds were done by four different techs (2 at divers supply in Georgia, one local and another in Sarasota), but two of the seats were on regs that were less than a year old. I'm pretty sure they used the blue kits, the quiet recall went out last year.
That helps explain the continued failures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom