Wells Marine O2 first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[snip]

Lots of FUD about Apeks out there, maybe due to old HP seats. Just get a new service kit.
Yep. i've been using ds4 and dsts for years and years, no problems with seats or the like. I only tend to service them every couple of years. the only 'downside' from my perspective is that they're a bit bigger and heavier than equivalent (say) scubapro regs.

I have around 10 sets of Apeks mostly DS4s and couple of FSRs , been using them for 20 years, I have only had one first stage fail when somehow the HP crown got damaged and could not be repaired. Otherwise I have had very few issues Apeks gear. Rock solid as far as I am concerned.

I have around 10 sets of Apeks mostly DS4s and couple of FSRs , been using them for 20 years, I have only had one first stage fail when somehow the HP crown got damaged and could not be repaired. Otherwise I have had very few issues Apeks gear. Rock solid as far as I am concerned.
they are in the middle of a bad batch of HP seats right now. Mechanically they're fine and the design is solid but something is going on with their soft parts supplier

they are in the middle of a bad batch of HP seats right now. Mechanically they're fine and the design is solid but something is going on with their soft parts supplier

No kidding ??? Rather worrying... One of mine is due for a check up around september...

No kidding ??? Rather worrying... One of mine is due for a check up around september...
I've been buying my Apeks kits from Northeast Scuba, and had no issues, so I'm guessing their supplier is different than the one Apeks uses.

I’ve been told these are not the best. Your experiences?

Kiss ships units with these now. DR and Apeks are an upgrade. I have a barely used Apeks DS4 in my spares box I bought here recently ago as a backup. Came off a CCR so it already has OPV. Just need to add the required plug.

I swapped mine to a DS4 I already had when I switched to a needle valve & 200 psi IP. Otherwise, I would probably still be using the WM. I was already considering it, just so I had all Apeks in regular use.

I’ve been told these are not the best. Your experiences?

Kiss ships units with these now. DR and Apeks are an upgrade. I have a barely used Apeks DS4 in my spares box I bought here recently ago as a backup. Came off a CCR so it already has OPV. Just need to add the required plug.
If you decide to use the DS4 you should still service and O2 clean it before use. If you can't do that easily I'd just go with the Wells Marine.

If you decide to use the DS4 you should still service and O2 clean it before use. If you can't do that easily I'd just go with the Wells Marine.
I don’t service any regs myself. The regular shop I go to for Apeks service doesn’t do O2 cleaning. Leaning towards just using the WM.

I don’t get this hate for Apeks. My XTX50/DST SM regs are fabulous. The only consistent issue I have is screwing them into valve is frequently a PITA. Others here have had the same problem.

I've blown something like 8 HP seats on Apeks regs in the last four years. Two this week alone

I've blown something like 8 HP seats on Apeks regs in the last four years. Two this week alone
Curious here, who is rebuilding them and what parts are they using?
I had a ton of issues with the blue kits. I haven't seen any failures yet with the white paper envelope service kits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom