WELLS MARINE O2 first Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
i was considering getting a different first stage for my oxygen bottle, to reduce the weight a bit. Currently I am using a APEX first stage. was considering a wells marine. Wanted to get thoughts from anyone who uses these.
What model did you purchase?
how much lighter in weight?
Service kits available?

Any input is appreciated.

I went from the Wells Marine one KISS sells to an Apeks DS4 with a stronger spring and higher IP. Unless you’re going to use a needle valve on an unblocked first, your options are largely a DS4, the Wells Marine, a Dive Rite, or the HOG one that Edd uses.

How off balance are you? Which valve are you using? Wetsuit or drysuit? Who was your instructor?

Jason Richards has an article on his search here Sidewinder: a smaller O2 Valve and Regulator — Jason Richards Christina Richards Cartographers Explorers but uses an uncompensated first with a needle valve.

I use the DUI top handled valve, DS4, steel 2L, and a 3lb weight on my left shoulder. Still slightly foot heavy w big cylinders so compensate with more gas in my feet in drysuit and an aluminum 2L in wetsuit.

If you want the WM one, I’d happily sell you mine or trade you straight up. Already blocked, think IP set as stock from factory (0.7LPM w standard 0.0035 orfice).

I just don’t understand this. I took the sw course with Edd (though I don’t own a sw) and never once felt off balance or tilted to one side. Have you talked to Edd about it the guy in my class asked about it because he had read on fb about people being off balance, and Edd had some strong opinions about it. Could it be how your’re hanging your oxygen bottle? Or some other factor. So many people are diving the sw nowadays but only a small percent have an off balance issue

I have a 3LB sausage weight on my shoulder, and that helps w/ any tilt issues to the side where the valve and first stage are located at. so no issues with tilt, or balance. I am just considering other options so I can lighten my overall setup or possibly remove or reduce the weight even more on my shoulder

I did see Jason's article he posted. Good article.. I did swap out my valve w/ the one he suggested that did lighten things up a bit (and easier to open the valve or close the valve if I need to)

Kiss supplied my two Spirit lte units with the wells marine 1st stage. They also sell the service kit for the reg.

It is pretty simple to service except the tiny orifice oring in the kit is too hard and impossible to insert or remove non destructively. I use a softer oring and it's fine.

Dave - what is the model of the well marine supplied? I am trying to determine the difference in weight compared to my APEXS i have now. it might not be much of a difference, but like to see.

There is no obvious model number on it and I never found a manual for it. I have both DS4 and the WM regs in use and the WM is quite a bit lighter. Here is a pic I took when servicing it recently.

[edit] I did a quick search and found the model: FS-819 DIN ( W.M.D-1st Stage Regulator )

Wells Marine.jpg

Back
Top Bottom