Well, that was a bust...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did the dive shop not let you try it on before you took it?
Normally wetsuits fit everyone a little differently (like shoes).
The dive shop should know this and actually insist that you try it before you go as a good customer service measure.

Check out the 6.5 mm Nova Scotia semi dry by Scubapro. I dive it summer in Puget Sound. (50 F) It is an exceptional suit. Neck wrist and ankle seals no water transfer. Looks good, plush easy don lining. It's price point is way less than a drysuit. I dove the same suit in La Jolla last month and had to take my hood off on the surface after the dive to vent some heat.

The only consideration, no vent valve, because it is so well sealed make sure that you get rid of any air pockets before you hit the water or you will be in the water doing the old arm up wrist seal dump or the neck seal dump. It is a great suit.

Did the dive shop not let you try it on before you took it?
Normally wetsuits fit everyone a little differently (like shoes).
The dive shop should know this and actually insist that you try it before you go as a good customer service measure.

I rented from Sport Chalet, which was the only place I found with hours that worked with the schedule I was on out there.

I don't recall them suggesting I try it on, much less insisting. Again, I should have known to take the extra time to try it on, but in the rush we were in Wednesday evening, I foolishly opted to trust the size chart.

I don't get the feeling that the Sport Chalet employees are hired for their expertise in the departments they work in.

sounds like you didn't try out the suit in the shop

remember, never go on a dive trip (this means boarding the boat) with any piece of equipment you haven't tested to make sure it works

:)
Duh! :silly: How true! I try on a pair of work gloves even before taking them. Jumpsuits are the most difficult to fit to divers, which is why LDSs push shorties so much, but I hate shorties.

I once took a 5 mil & 1 mil to the Exumas/Bahamas in December and wished I'd taken my 7. Too much is better than not enough.

Ha. Yeah, I'd really rather be cold than wear a 7 mil. Just can't stand the claustrophobia. I'm getting ready to do some kelp diving and I'm gonna wear a 2 mil, a 3 mil and a hooded vest. Hopefully that'll hold me in 60-some degree water.

Ha. Yeah, I'd really rather be cold than wear a 7 mil. Just can't stand the claustrophobia. I'm getting ready to do some kelp diving and I'm gonna wear a 2 mil, a 3 mil and a hooded vest. Hopefully that'll hold me in 60-some degree water.

You might want to rethink that. There are some very wide temp ranges down in the San Diego area. It can be high 60's on the surface, but below 30ft can drop into the mid-50's. You might be able to do it, but why be uncomfortable? You can always do without a hood, but I would keep the core warm.

Thanks! I do appreciate the two cents. To clarify: My hooded vest is a 3 mil. So I'll have 8 across the chest, five on arms + legs. I'm only doing two dives, so I'm hoping it won't be too big a deal (going out with ScubaDiverGirls.com...)

Worst case, I may be able to cram my Henderson Instadry under my Hyperstretch, giving me 6 on arms/legs, 9 on core....not sure I'd be able to breathe + I'd have to wear about 30 lbs of weight, tho!! Not so bad for a big tall man, but a bit much to balance for a 5'4" woman. :wink:

Thanks! I do appreciate the two cents. To clarify: My hooded vest is a 3 mil. So I'll have 8 across the chest, five on arms + legs. I'm only doing two dives, so I'm hoping it won't be too big a deal (going out with ScubaDiverGirls.com...)

Worst case, I may be able to cram my Henderson Instadry under my Hyperstretch, giving me 6 on arms/legs, 9 on core....not sure I'd be able to breathe + I'd have to wear about 30 lbs of weight, tho!! Not so bad for a big tall man, but a bit much to balance for a 5'4" woman. :wink:

If you don't get cold easily, the 8 mils should take care of you. I use a 7 mil with a 3 mil hooded vest and it was just enough.

The nice thing is that the thermocline is usually at 20-30ft. So you warm up during your safety stop.

All that is less confining than a 7 mil? :confused: I tried a 3 mil shorty on top of a 3 mil long jumpsuit off of Catalina; too much work, not enough protection. I got a 7 mil long to wear over my 1 mil long and I was okay in Puget Sound.
You might want to rethink that. There are some very wide temp ranges down in the San Diego area. It can be high 60's on the surface, but below 30ft can drop into the mid-50's. You might be able to do it, but why be uncomfortable? You can always do without a hood, but I would keep the core warm.
I really disagree about the no-hood. You can lose as much heat out of your head as you can your core. I was chilled in Puget because of my lighter weight beanie and cold feet. I have neoprene socks for inside my cold water boots now, but if I got to the west coast again - I'll have a hood.

Back
Top Bottom