Well......it happened again! :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My thoughts are with the family and friends of the diver.
It is so sad that we have to read about another such victim.
I hope the boat will be found and the driver will be made responsible for their action.

CB and I join all of you in sending condolences to her friends and family.

Just maybe this can get some government types off of thier collective fat butts and get dive flags recognized in Ontario.

Hello

Look like there was a swimmer at Centennial beach who also lost his life to drowning yesterday, this definitely wasn't a good weekend up in lake Simcoe. Barrie has grown so fast and the population has sky rocketed bringing to the lake more boats. Make sure you guys have not one but two dive flags up, way up.

Safe diving

Richard

Does anybody know what school she was attending?

condolences to the family, obviously. stupid f-in boaters.

But Mr. A - then they'll have a complete course set up right above our heads!

Mr Adams:
Hi

I see, well than theres is nothing to do but wait for the police to find there boat than she and her family can act on the situation if they choose.

Mr A

Tell me something, if a guy driving a car ran over someone because they ignored what they were doing and where they were, would it be up to the family to decide to punish him?

Lock the ****er up for vehicular assault! I have no pity for those idiots.

Mr Adams:
Hello

Look like there was a swimmer at Centennial beach who also lost his life to drowning yesterday, this definitely wasn't a good weekend up in lake Simcoe. Barrie has grown so fast and the population has sky rocketed bringing to the lake more boats. Make sure you guys have not one but two dive flags up, way up.

Safe diving

Richard

So, you want to give the jetskiers a slalom course or a figure 8 course?

aquaoren:
My thoughts are with the family and friends of the diver.
It is so sad that we have to read about another such victim.
I hope the boat will be found and the driver will be made responsible for their action.

This may sound calous, and I do feel for the woman and her family, and her boyfriend the instructor who will always feel guilt over this, but...

My thoughts are with the members of this board, wondering which of us will be the next victim of such a tragedy.

Even if the find the boat, I'm not sure what law they could pin him with. Dive flags have no legal standing in Ontario. From a boaters point of view, most of the flags we fly (mine included) are nearly useless anyway. If you're downwind of the flag, you've got a 1/4" pole sticking up with a bit of flutter on it. Some of the red/yeelow inflatable floats are a little more visible, but not much better. At 6"30, looking up sun (maybe) approaching a DOCK (after all, boats tie up at docks) and not expecting divers to be underneath you.

I got a close up look (about 4 feet above me) at the bottom of a PWC yesterday. We we're ascending to check where we were, when we heard him and checked our ascent. He was about 4 fet up and about 2 feet to one side of me. (yes we had a flag out and he came from the downwind side of it, probably still never saw it).

What I worry will happen, is the government won't pass Dive Flag legislation, or improve enforcment. There a lot of influential boaters, so instead they'll take the simpler and cheaper route and legislate where and when we can dive. They'll keep us away from channels, docks, etc. Probably restrict us to Toby and chartres from places like Kingston and Brockville.

Unfortunatly the women(30) was killed. I just found out today that it was an old friends sister. She was originally from Guelph. From what I heard she was struck by a boat which has still not been located, and she succumbed to her injuries at a Barrie hospital. There is a brief story on thenewvr.com.

R.I.P. JB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom