Well......it happened again! :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two words for ya...

BANG STICK!!!!

It's amazing what that'l do to a psychopathic moron's boat.

God I'm getting sick of these non divers who pay no attention to what they are doing. Half of these idiots using flags for racing cones know exactly what they are for, and the other half could care less.

Hi

Ya! big bay point has taken many divers lifes over the years, and as most of you know its quite shallow off the dock and remians that way for some 500 feet until you get past the weeds were it begins to slope down. I installed the line from the dock down to 80 feet were the jug is four years ago so that divers could have something to hold onto as they go up and down while doing open waters and to get out of the way quickly. I havn't been up there in a year but I have been told the line has gone to the hell.

Mr A

The real bad part of it is that there is no legal way to hold these boaters accountable for their actions. How do you pick one white fiberglass boat out of potentially hundreds?

They know that their odds of being caught are almost none, and so believe it or not there are actually guys out there running over your flags geting a kick out of knowing that they might actually kill someone.

HI

Don't worry about that, the police have many ways of tracking down boats that fit that description it will be found. I don't know, but was there a divers flag in the water? many divers don't bring flags to dive sites were they think its safe to dive with little to no boating traffic or just forget to pack it and if there wasn't in this incident, who's to blame the boater who didn't see the diver or the new diver with possibly no flag up.

Hi

I see, well than theres is nothing to do but wait for the police to find there boat than she and her family can act on the situation if they choose.

Mr A

Anyone know the condition of the victim?

My condolances to the victim.
I must ask the question however why are open water checkouts taking place in a busy boating area? is there any other place to do it?

we know most boaters are oblivious to dive flags. and even if that forces us divers to go elsewhere temporarily maybe it's a fact of life unfortunately and we have to do it to keep from getting hurt

Hi

Actually Big Bay point is not a busy area, there is no boat ramp there just a government dock thats great for diving off. This area has been used by diving and diving instructors for 30 years long before the invasion of Toronto based boaters and the building boom of Barrie, I remember when the dock was nothing more than old timber before they rebuilt it as a ministry use dock. You just need to listen and duck when ever you hear boats coming.

http://thenewvr.com/news/index.asp

Student Diver Killed in Mishap

A weekend in the water turned tragic for a woman who was taking part in an organized dive in Lake Simcoe.

South Simcoe Police say several members of a diving school were submerged about 50 feet off shore from the government dock in Big Bay Boat in Innisfil. A boat came into the dive area and struck a woman in the head, causing serious injuries.

The 30-year-old woman from York Region succumbed to her injuries at Barrie's Royal Victoria Hospital.

Police are now asking any witnesses who may have seen the boat come into the area. They'll be canvassing the area today looking for the boat involved in the accident.

I am very saddened by this tragic event.... It seems to be happening far too frequently. My heart goes out the family and friends and the members of that dive group. The loss of a fellow diver in situations like this, is a tragedy to the entire dive community. Please accept my utmost and sincere condolences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom