We'll Go Back to the Brac ... Trip Report Oct. 18-25th, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're OK for current.

The Aggressor typically spends 90% of its week over on Little Cayman, which generally has very little current to be concerned about. When there is a current, its typically of the mild type where the rule is: "start your dive swimming into the current; drift back".

What's probably a bit more of a concern is buoyancy control, as the wall drop-offs are generally quite steep, going into La-La Land.

As such, for a <20 lifetime diver, I'd recommend starting out fairly conservative on max depths off the wall, to keep it to be less than 200fsw or thereabouts.
:dropmouth:

Okay...seroiusly, the max depth policy is typically 100-110fsw and I'd shoot for 75-80fsw max with a Novice, until such time that their buoyancy, SAC rates and Narcosis susceptibility risks are all adequately sorted out.

There are a few walls on Little Cayman where the dropoff literally undercuts, so if you drop a weight (or have buoyancy problems that crash you to the bottom), the first 'bottom' to be touched is supposedly at around 300fsw (I've not gone down to look).

Here's an example of the wall's slope off of Great Wall West; IIRC, at around 110fsw:
little_cayman-gww.jpg

In many areas, I've found that there's a ledge at around 130-140fsw, or that the wall's slope breaks off (to "only" a 45 degree angle), and both of these are often visible below you (when you know what you're looking for), due to the typical 75-125ft visibility.

-hh

How deep do you have to go to swim under the island ?:wink:

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, holiday and business travels to only cold places. Thanks for the info. I won't take my camera for a few dives just to make sure she is comfortable.
Thanks
Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom