Welding versus Medical O2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
Morgan, is an old and dear friend, and I can assure you that he was well paid for his efforts on behalf of the American people.

BTW: Morgan ran the NOAA Diving Office. He was never the Director of NOAA, which does not have a Director, it has an Administrator who holds the title of Undersecretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere, that is someone much better paid than Morgan ever was.
you guys that just know stuff just pee me off. It's makes the rest of us look real bad :)

lol.

Well, a mixer that will work without ruining anything is about as complicated as a slinky Derek, but I'm sorry I don't know who patented that either :D, but my guess is someone here will shortly inform me.

never a dull day around here, I tell ya.

Now that I think of it, not being able to make a stick all on your own is probably a violation of human intellect......full stop!

lol

Steve R:
Now that I think of it, not being able to make a stick all on your own is probably a violation of human intellect......full stop!

lol

That's why its only "patent pending" in Canada :D

Mr. Cowell is not infringing on Dr. Wells' patent as he has permission to use it. And yes it was an improvement on Dr. Wells' design.

For an idea to be novel, it must differ on many accounts... because you do not use a vortex mixer, does not mean that your device does not infringe on the patent. I bet your Nitrox Stik does infringe on many of the claims in that patent. It also does not improve on the present design, and I would venture it is a step backward.

I'll ask you this, assuming you were the originator of the idea, and weren't simply building things that you have seen on the internet, do you think your device could be patented? Is is sufficiently novel? Or would it be denied during the application process?

At lease acknowledge that what you have is a knock off, not of your own novel design.

There is no viable way to stop you from making a Nitrox Stick in your garage for your own personal use. But it is still against the law. If you try to manufacture and sell them on any scale, you open yourself up to civil lawsuits. Several of the "importers" of knock off Stiks are in this position with litigation presently pending.

Steve R:
you guys that just know stuff just pee me off. It's makes the rest of us look real bad :)
Yeah, but can you think of any less important stuff to know? I'm blessed with a great memory, often I wish I could forget.

Scuba Duck:
Mr. Cowell is not infringing on Dr. Wells' patent as he has permission to use it. And yes it was an improvement on Dr. Wells' design.

For an idea to be novel, it must differ on many accounts... because you do not use a vortex mixer, does not mean that your device does not infringe on the patent. I bet your Nitrox Stik does infringe on many of the claims in that patent. It also does not improve on the present design, and I would venture it is a step backward.

I'll ask you this, assuming you were the originator of the idea, and weren't simply building things that you have seen on the internet, do you think your device could be patented? Is is sufficiently novel? or would it be denied during the application process?

At lease acknolege that what you have is a knock off, not of your own novel design.

The bulk of the claims in the patent are primarily physical processes which are not patentable ideas. Although I have not seen the interior of the "invention" you are selling, my stick is fairly similar to the Cole Palmer tube and uses similar physical mechanisms to mix gas "good enough". At least its been good enough for the past ~150 hours of compressor use.

The minimum % for welding gas is 96% or it will not work. The minimum for medical gas is 94%. The gas suppliers fill all the o2 tanks from the same main tank reguardless if they are medical, welder or aviator. The medical O2 has an expiration date on it as required. My supplier had a main tank not meet the welding standard and was able to sell it to the Mayo Clinic as it met medical standards.

rjack321:
That's why its only "patent pending" in Canada :D
Don't think I won't send Jeff out there to slap you with a beaver-tail.

However........

Nothing like running into one store, getting your meds, beer, car AC refridgerant (R12), ballpark franks and cheap gas all in one shot. And with the US Green Back sinking like the Empress of Ireland.....well, ya buddy, works for us even more.

God Bless America, even if most places stink like hell and look like a war-zone. :mooner: I live close to Hamilton ON., so I'm kinda use to that anyway. lol.

Back on topic for the local guy asking, I'm working on another supplier whom I met with today. I'll update when I get something, or not. Right now, since he has zero scuba knowledge, he just think's we're wacked breathing anything but the air around us.

He's not feelin' the love yet and had no idea that anything like what we do even existed. I don't really think showing him the equipment and some of the procedures for nitrox/trimix he felt any better either. lol. I may have to offer a discover trimix course or something. :)

Steve, Definetly let me know about the new potential supplier. Also I feel bad for you living near the Hammer. I go to school there, and it's painful everyday haha.

Ohhhhh Palease!
I cannot even fathom the concept of having to examin renolyds sp, numbers laminar flow and such to make a nitrox stick. I am reminded of an old adage that simply stat4es the present condition of our world "those that can, do" "those that can not teach gym"
For the home based brewer this should be the mantra. To also steel a line from another source, "somewhere along the way we forgot that we could do anything".
The basic principle of a mixing stick is to mix gas, not rocket science, I sure hope that the golf practice balls I put in mine are not a patent infringement and I get litigated. lol
Eric

Scuba Duck:
At lease acknowledge that what you have is a knock off, not of your own novel design.

At least acknowledge that your innovative nitrox stick is a knock off of a mixing method that has been used in countless other applications for decades, and not some novel new idea.

Your hypocrisy seems to know no limits!

I'm sure you'll sell some of your product and if you do then good for you, sincerely.

But just because some of us are willing and able and smart enough to research the method and take the time and effort to do it ourselves, then good for us.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom