Weirdest near miss ever - falling tree

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vcubergirl

Reaction score
# of dives
This is the weirdest scuba-related injury that anyone from our LDS has ever heard of or seen happen! We just finished our first dive ever (dive 1 for OW cert) with a group from the shop, and we were doing our surface interval. I was talking to the instructor with a few other students, when out of nowhere, a tree on the edge of the lake just fell over! We all scattered, but from where I was there was no getting out from under it. I put my arm up, and it hit me on the hand and then back of the head. Fortunately I wasn't very badly injured, but they had to call the EMS and everyone had to call it a day anyway as the tree also landed right on our air tanks. The people from the lake, the EMS, and the DM's from the shop were all great, and took really good care of me. It's so nice to know that you have such great people around you if something happens.

In my mind I had been thinking a lot about things that might happen during our first dives, but getting hit by a falling tree was never one of them!

Jen

Can't say I've ever heard of that myself. The only things I've had hit me (while underwater) was 1. some rocks falling off the quarry walls into the water during a rain shower & 2. a student's integrated weight pocket fell out of his BC & beaned me on the head. Hope you following dives go smoothly. You've earned it.

That is crazy - bet a good lesson though that any "what ifs" are valid. :)
You may have learned more on that first dive then most with years of experience. Glad you are ok!

Welcome to Scubaboard. Glad you weren't hurt. Where were you diving?
I once had a tree fall across the road at night in front of me. I barely saw it in time to lay across the seat. The branches held up the tree trunk about windshield height so my car became a convertible. Close call. A beaver had felled the tree and never hollered "Timber".

Oh my! That is the most bizarre dive accident I have ever heard of. :shocked2:

I guess if you survived that you are ready for anything. :wink:

Good luck with the rest of your certification.

Darrell

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom