Weird skills your instructor thought you needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe this is why you got confused. The ASCII symbol for Ž¼Ž¼ is ALT + 167. It works anywhere.

Nope, that's not why. I just transposed the numbers :p

®, ©, °, ±, ², and ³ are the only ones I know off the top of my head. Anything else I'll go to the Character Map for.

Edit: Scubaboard seems to have problems with those characters. It's adding a Ž in front of most of 'em.

Care to explain?

Sounds like something we did:

lying face down in shallow water exhale every last bit of air and put a wet secondary in your mouth (underwater) then put your hands at your sides.
Now you have a hard choice.

The trick is to make a 'clucking' sound with your tounge. It will vibrate the diaphram and quickly clear the reg.

Why? If you lose your secondary after an exhale you can go to your bungied backup and clear it hands-free. It makes a fun entanglement drill.

(was that it?)

Edit: Scubaboard seems to have problems with those characters. It's adding a Ž in front of most of 'em.

I'm just going to test a couple of the more useful ones for diving that I have used in the past successfully:

Curaçao (alt + 135)
Galápagos (alt + 160)

Edit: apparently no problem with these.

Learning how to clear a wetsuit after peeing (not that I have ever done this of course) without going positively buoyant. Go inverted, use your alternate to blow air through the suit at the neck to exhaust at your feet.

Learning how to clear a wetsuit after peeing (not that I have ever done this of course) without going positively buoyant. Go inverted, use your alternate to blow air through the suit at the neck to exhaust at your feet.

careful not to blow your boots off :D

...or just don't worry about it.
:wink:

Nope, that's not why. I just transposed the numbers :p

Ž®, Ž©, Ž°, Ž±, Ž², and Ž³ are the only ones I know off the top of my head. Anything else I'll go to the Character Map for.

Edit: Scubaboard seems to have problems with those characters. It's adding a in front of most of 'em.

It's not likely SB... check your page encoding. Remember, this is a website, which means it's your computer not understanding the reference.

Ken

Care to explain?

The way I was taught, was to plunge the tongue rapidly in and out of the mouthpiece. The tongue acts as a piston, forcing out the water. It's been about 30 years, and I have never used it since.

Last edited:
The way I was taught, was to plunge the tongue rapidly in and out of the mouthpiece. The tongue acts as a piston, forcing out the water. It's been about 30 years, and I have never used it since.

some skills have more than one use.

some skills have more than one use.
Yes, but he said he has not used this skill in more than 30 years :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom