Weird Night Dive Nudibranch...what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
I saw this last night on my night dive at Makena Landing. I have no idea what it is. It moves like a nudibranch that's swimming. It almost has 'bat wings'. I'd say it was almost a half inch long. I've never seen one like this before, has anyone else? Any ideas on what to call it? I'm stumped!

Here's a short video clip I was able to capture. This was taken at about 30 feet.

I dunno, but thanks for showing the clip, I keep pressing replay trying to see it a bit better. Thats a cool looking critter!

It does move like a swimming nudibranch, although my first thought was that it kinda reminds me of a small jellyfish with those appendages hanging down.

Freaky! Thanks for the video. A photo wouldn't have done it justice.

Looks like some wierd kind of jellyfish. I've done a couple blue water dives and have seen things that are reminiscent of the creatures at the end of the movie "The Abyss" that had wing looking type of structure. Perhaps this was some kind of thing that typically isn't seen on the reef but wandered in. Way Cool!

This could be your nudi:

DSC_0107-1.jpg

I'm not sure of the ID but it was in the Hoover book...

This nudi was free-swimming like yours...

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom