weights-started in women only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nudibranch

Registered
Reaction score
Wreck writer;

You are right I did misinterpret your response, sorry. As your statement about my and the tread starters weight I have a response.
Fact is, NO PERSON (of either sex) who weighs 130, needs 28 lbs, no matter what suit they're wearing. and furthermore NO PERSON PERIOD needs 50 lbs.

You are right I do need more bouyance practice but when I went out with the same gear for the first time I had 20 lbs. and could not get underwater with my BC completely deflated, I was not kicking. I discussed this with some of the women tech divers at my work who spend 3-4 hours underwater 5 days a week, one of whom was diving with me and trimmed my weights, adding the 8lbs., for me the first day with the current gear I have. I have a farmer jane and top, 7mm and a thinner hood/vest, the tech divers did not think that my weight was beyond reason. During my last dive I started ascending unwillingly with the 28lbs. and my BC deflated. Any insites or advice? I would like to learn to better and safer. I will try not to misinterpret you this time. :embarr:

The first thing I would look at is to ensure that you're not unintentionally kicking yourself up. Just a slight head up attitude while swimming can get it started. I find that most divers tend to be a bit "leg heavy" and this can get the body into the position where you can kick yourself up.

I notice you're from CA. Do you do beach or boat dives, or both? Beach diving does, in my opinion, require a bit more weight due to surf action.

7mm suit? Is it fairly new? Have you done any deeper dives with it? After a few deep dives the neoprene won't be quite so buoyant.

I apologize for the way I worded things in the other thread. During my time as a captain and instructor overweighting was always what I saw as the major danger in sport diving, it still is. Whenever I hear someone justifying an extreme amount of weight it really gets to me. Yours is not so bad, I still think it's more than you should need but not hazardously so, but the 50 lb lady is downright frightening.

Tom

When you re ready to descend lower your right shoulder, raising your left shoulder where the inflator/deflator valve is on your BC. This will ensure that you have no secret air pocket with remaining air in your BC. This tip helped me when I had difficulty descending with the correct weight.

Also relax, relax, relax. Go at your own pace. Sometimes when diving with others we have a tendency to want to keep up with others who may descend faster. Concentrate on yourself, your technique, relaxation.

Something else that helped me, when you're home take your BC, inflate partially, and hold it at different angles mimicking diving positions. This may help you to visualize where the highest point is where the air will congregate, showing you the correct BC valve to use in order to deflate depending on body position, and how to reposition yourself to prevent hidden air pockets and best utilize a certain valve.

Some added info. which may be causing my weight problem. I am diving with mostly borrowed gear. I have my personnal gear and a reg. but the wetsuit and BC are not mine. Both are too large for me. The wet suit fits my lower body but comes from someone who has a chest and I am currently looking at purchasing my own BC but am waiting for birthday money to come in. :D Air trapping is probably occuring in one or both items.
On my first dive with this gear, I was not kicking and could not sink straight down, I didn't try to swim down. I am doing beach dives and the wetsuit is fairly used, the knees are worn a bit but is in good shape. We have been staying less than 40' because the tech. diver doesn't want to get saturated on sunday before a week of work diving.
Both buddies I have been diving with are patient and do not let me rush. When I get my own BC I will try less weight and let you know how it goes.
Thanks for the tips.

Nudibranch once bubbled...
but the wetsuit and BC are not mine. Both are too large for me. The wet suit fits my lower body but comes from someone who has a chest and I am currently looking at purchasing my own BC but am waiting for birthday money to come in. :D Air trapping is probably occuring in one or both items.

That can definately affect it, particularly with the suit, it should fit you like a second skin. When you get your own stuff I bet things go better.

Happy birthday!

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom