Weights, belt or integrated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Body form may be a factor. I'm overweight and wider in the middle; with a wet suit, and in water moving around, I found a weight belt tended to come off, unless I tightened it up, kept trying to move it up over my belly, etc...

Also, those hard weights on my weight belt gave me the impression that if the belt ever fell off me (after the gut, it's a pretty straight drop) while standing on land, a weight could do a number on a foot or toe.

Went integrated and haven't regretted it. My scuba life has been nicer.

Richard.

Body form may be a factor. I'm overweight and wider in the middle; with a wet suit, and in water moving around, I found a weight belt tended to come off, unless I tightened it up, kept trying to move it up over my belly, etc...

Also, those hard weights on my weight belt gave me the impression that if the belt ever fell off me (after the gut, it's a pretty straight drop) while standing on land, a weight could do a number on a foot or toe.

Went integrated and haven't regretted it. My scuba life has been nicer.

Richard.

Alas, I have a similar issue. (Working on it!)

I found that a rubber freedive belt was just the ticket. No slipping, even at depth.

From the other end of the spectrum pertaining to body form, my hips are thing and my hip bones protrude a little. I use a weight integrated BC. Weight belts tend to dig into my hips causing irritation.
Of course the trade off as mentioned above is that my BC is heavier to put on and move around in. I try my best to get my buddy or someone to help me from a sitting position to a standing position. If doing a shore dive, I gear up as close to shore as I can. Luckily, I am in good shape and my back and shoulders are strong. I imagine as I get older and start to break down, I will have to adjust accordingly.

Weight belt vs integrated or other options.

This is a questions that gets much attention here on ScubaBoard, as it should. To me, there are many factors that determine the optimum solution.

Your diving style, location and water temps determine the exposure protection needed. Exposure protection (as one factor) determines ballast requirements.

Your body shape and type add to the decision on how best to carry that ballast. Say you have no defined waist, a weight belt may just slide off and either a harness assisted belt may work or if combined with a lower ballast requirement, an integrated weight system may work out well.

The options and variables are far too complicated for a single pat answer. All anyone can do is give an answer that works for them doing the diving they enjoy. For me, carrying a lot of ballast, diving in cold water in a drysuit, a weight belt works great but my wife, also diving dry, loves her integrated weights.

I dive with a ScubaPro Knighthawk under a variety of conditions. The BC is said to accept 24 lbs in the integrated pockets and 10 lbs in the trim pockets for a total of 34 lbs. With an aluminum 80 tank I dive 8 lbs with a 3 mm, 14 lbs with a 5 mm, and 20 lbs with a 7 mm. I split the weight between the integrated and trim pockets. I find this an ideal option when I am on and off boats every day and do not have interest in setting up a weight belt. I've gotten my trim down pretty well and find this easy, quick, and convenient. I have no trouble manuevering around with the weight I carry. Obviously, steel tanks are a bonus and allow me to remove an average of 4 lbs from my weights totals.

Works well for me, hope you all find and equally useful system.

Good diving, Craig

Luckily, I am in good shape and my back and shoulders are strong. I imagine as I get older and start to break down, I will have to adjust accordingly.

You can count on it! If I had thought I would like long enough to get Social Security, I would have taken better care of myself.

Richard

I have a sherwood avid bc with integrated weight. As a bigger guy I like not having to mess with a belt. But that is what works for me. I would suggest renting or borrowing each setup and see which works for you.

Posted via Mobile Device

im not sure what way to go when choosing weight system, any one got some views on this,many thanks

There are may views on this, here's mine.

In a nutshell, integrate only what you need on your upper body to achieve good trim. The rest goes on a belt. If your build or suit does not allow you to securely wear a belt then use a weight harness.

Why?

1. If you ever need to get out of your rig underwater it is much easier and safer to manage the situation if the lead is on your person.

2. A fully integrated BC, especially for a diver in significant exposure protection is a heavy rig. It's a beast to set down if you need to get out alone and it's a bear to haul up into a boat of doffed in the water.

Of lesser importance is the fact that in most jackets the weight integration fights for the same space the pockets are in.

In warmer water with a light suit and minimal lead it becomes more of a toss-up but the logic remains the same.

Pete

Last edited:
thank u every one.

i prefer a weight harness because it is easier to adjust your weighting and your it will be the same no matter how you cut it but weight intergraded bcs tend to drop their weights with too much

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom