Weightlifting tip!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I have read, unless you are doing very low intensity your body needs at least 10 days to fully recover from a workout, up to a month. I believe it. I went in to the gym on Tuesday and my 1rm went up another 10 pounds on bench, from 2 weeks ago. If that level of rest is ineffective than I wouldn't have seen a 60lb increase in my bench in 8 months.

Now if you do a total body three times a week, I am assuming 12-10-8 set scheme, one exercise per body part, and you didn't go to failure on each set, you will see gains. I am not arguing that at all. I used to do this and I saw some results. What I am saying is I have seen more gains in the last 8 months of doing this than I did in years of anything else, without a plateau and without the occasional gym injury from lack of rest...and I am 32.

Now about Mentzer, he is the only body builder who I ever felt was a credible source. Granted, I know he juiced too, but for these guys today to be considered gurus of the human body is a joke. A) they were born ready to get huge B) they take more juice than all major sports league combined! :) What is funny is that he was not taken serious by his peers back then!

Finally, no matter what body type you are, muscle grows when it is maximally overloaded with a high level of intensity. It then needs time to recover, and that doesn't happen just the days you are sore, if your skin needs 3-6 days to mend a cut, how long do you think your pecs need?

However, to maximize the benefit of the rest requires busting-your-butt during the activity phase. Somewhere, sometime, I read a statement that you can work out hard or for a long time but not hard for a long time.

Exactly, which is why what I do is a maximal 10x8x6, rarely making it to 8 and 6. Depending on how I feel I may do one more set of 6-8 on a secondary exercise, but always to failure and if I don't feel blasted I may do a set of 10 half reps, but that is rare. I do 2-3 body parts and that is enough...you are spent!

Now a side note, with this level of intensity full range repetitions can cause injury. I have shorten my range slightly. For bench I do elbows just slightly below 90 degrees, BB curls arms are slightly bent at the bottom, dips are kept 100-100 degrees. I rarely squat because of injuries, but when I do I normally only do a half squat, so play with that one yourself.

Now about Mentzer, he is the only body builder who I ever felt was a credible source. Granted, I know he juiced too, but for these guys today to be considered gurus of the human body is a joke. A) they were born ready to get huge B) they take more juice than all major sports league combined! :) What is funny is that he was not taken serious by his peers back then!

Finally, no matter what body type you are, muscle grows when it is maximally overloaded with a high level of intensity. It then needs time to recover, and that doesn't happen just the days you are sore, if your skin needs 3-6 days to mend a cut, how long do you think your pecs need?

Mentzer was the man. I've read that his methods helped Yates tremendously and I remember the first time I saw a picture of Dorian. :shocked2: But I think Kevin Levrone or Serge Nubret more esthetically pleasing. Then again there is/was Oliva. :D

For sure about body time and time. But too many do too much for too long and wonder why they stagnate.

By high protein I mean around 1g per lb of body weight - people dont get anywhere near this. This wont harm kidneys.

emcbride you say one exercise per body part - that would be isolation exercises and I dont recommend these. Stick to compounds.

Regarding intensity - of course I mean high intensity and increasing the load every week. I have increased my lifts by 60KG in just over 3 months using this method. That 60 KILOGRAMS not pounds. Every 4 weeks I freshen up my routine.

I disagree the body needs up to a month to recover from exercise, and all power lifters and body builders around the would will disagree also. I am not saying a month rest will stop progression all together, however it will stop your gains.

Look into stronglifts 5x5 routine. I know people who have increased their lifts by 90KG+ during an 8 week period coupled with good diet.

QUOTing funkcanna

By high protein I mean around 1g per lb of body weight - people dont get anywhere near this. This wont harm kidneys.

For the purposes of muscle gain, perhaps not. But I've read that many folks get too much protein and fat, not enough carbs.

emcbride you say one exercise per body part - that would be isolation exercises and I dont recommend these. Stick to compounds.

Regarding intensity - of course I mean high intensity and increasing the load every week. I have increased my lifts by 60KG in just over 3 months using this method. That 60 KILOGRAMS not pounds. Every 4 weeks I freshen up my routine.

That might be how your body responds but we are all different. I doubt an ectomorph will experience those types of gains, assuming they even weigh 60KG.

For sure we/you/I could argue that perhaps the non-gainers don't work hard enough, don't rest enough, etc. but the fact remains that each person has an unique physiology and must accept their limits.

Agreed that routines need regular change to maintain forward progress.

I disagree the body needs up to a month to recover from exercise, and all power lifters and body builders around the would will disagree also. I am not saying a month rest will stop progression all together, however it will stop your gains.

A month seems excessive to me as well but I am not Mentzer or Viator. :eyebrow:

Look into stronglifts 5x5 routine. I know people who have increased their lifts by 90KG+ during an 8 week period coupled with good diet.

Good lifting, good resting, good diet and good genetics are all part of the mix.

:coffee:

Now a month is too much rest for most people. The article I was reading, the physiologist said that if the average person were to follow the workouts of the bodybuilders 18-27 sets per body part 5x a week, without steroids would need a month. I used to do that very thing...without drugs...and I over trained obviously.

Now a month is too much rest for most people. The article I was reading, the physiologist said that if the average person were to follow the workouts of the bodybuilders 18-27 sets per body part 5x a week, without steroids would need a month. I used to do that very thing...without drugs...and I over trained obviously.

Well, color me intolerant but in my observation the "average" person is not overtraining; the intensity is insufficient. Watch and you'll see what I mean. Believe me, 3 or 4 sets (including warming up) done balls-to-the-wall will be more than enough to stimulate growth but then you need to let the muscles recover and build.

Last edited:

For the purposes of muscle gain, perhaps not. But I've read that many folks get too much protein and fat, not enough carbs.

I disagree with this. People have too many carbs as they are everywhere, in particular simple carbs. People should eat more complex carbs but in general too many carbs and insufficient training is what makes people fat. Also please note - FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT! Your body is designed (through 1000's of years of possible starvation) to require fat. Eating plenty of GOOD fats is very important (oily fish, plain nuts etc). Saturated fats and in particular trans fats are what cause the issues.

That might be how your body responds but we are all different. I doubt an ectomorph will experience those types of gains, assuming they even weigh 60KG.

For sure we/you/I could argue that perhaps the non-gainers don't work hard enough, don't rest enough, etc. but the fact remains that each person has an unique physiology and must accept their limits.

I agree certain numbers regarding gains are down to the person, however I challenge that anyone will see more gains using a full body compound based workout, 3 times a week at high intensity coupled with a good diet, than they would with isolation exercises every 2 week.

The 1g of protein per pound is a bit much. I don't think I could even eat 235g of protein in a day with out every meal being steak, chicken, or protein drinks. I think the 1g per kg was made up by the protein supplements. 1 to 1.5g per kg is probably a better range for the average person even those into moderate exercise.

Everyone is totally different. I started to high rep stuff. 8x8 with 15 seconds rest between reps and just started 10x10 with 15 seconds rest. I never gained like I did while doing this with a higher protein diet. My body has always adapted to endurance type things better. When biking I would increase my distance by about 10 miles per week. Time limits, limited gains there. For some high loads will have bigger gains, and for others more reps will do it. It all comes down to total amount of work. Multiply your reps by the weight for the total. I think most fitness people are now saying to change your routine monthly and to take a week off from listing every month or so.

The 1g of protein per pound is a bit much. I don't think I could even eat 235g of protein in a day with out every meal being steak, chicken, or protein drinks. I think the 1g per kg was made up by the protein supplements. 1 to 1.5g per kg is probably a better range for the average person even those into moderate exercise.

1g per pound is optimal for muscle gain.

Everyone is totally different. I started to high rep stuff. 8x8 with 15 seconds rest between reps and just started 10x10 with 15 seconds rest.

Doing high set high rep exercises I assume the weight was low?

I never gained like I did while doing this with a higher protein diet.

Gain in what way? Strength or size? Both can be independent of one another.

For some high loads will have bigger gains, and for others more reps will do it. It all comes down to total amount of work. Multiply your reps by the weight for the total. I think most fitness people are now saying to change your routine monthly and to take a week off from listing every month or so.

Yes and no. Its important to vary your set and rep ranges. The fact is, more weight lifted = more gains. It depends on the goals whether you primarily lift low reps and high weight, or high reps and lower weight. But even with the high reps lower weight option, you must add more weight to continue to progress.

Back
Top Bottom