Weighting a new steel tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David P

Reaction score
I just stumbled across an E8-119 and bought it. But kinda curious about my weighting. I thought if an al80 is 5lbs pos at the end of a dive and the pst is 1 lb neg. I planned on dropping 6 lbs from my belt and fine tune from there. Then I heard someone say it was nice droping 10lbs from their belt when they switched from al to steel. If dropping 6lbs isnt the way to start, should I do a bouyancy check and once I can just sink under the water I should add 10lbs to compensate for the weight swing?

TIA

David P:
I just stumbled across an E8-119 and bought it. But kinda curious about my weighting. I thought if an al80 is 5lbs pos at the end of a dive and the pst is 1 lb neg. I planned on dropping 6 lbs from my belt and fine tune from there. Then I heard someone say it was nice droping 10lbs from their belt when they switched from al to steel. If dropping 6lbs isnt the way to start, should I do a bouyancy check and once I can just sink under the water I should add 10lbs to compensate for the weight swing?

TIA

I would start with dropping 4 and prepare to spend some time on your bouyancy and trim over the next few dives. Not only your buoyancy will change but so will your trim.

I suspect that the person who said they dropped 10 lbs when the went to steel was probably significantly overweighted with the AL tank to begin with. He/she may have been able to drop more weight than the swing in buoyancy if the new tank also cleared up a trim issue they had.

R..

I used the difference in the factory specs - Luxfer 80 +4.5 empty, E8-119 -3.3 empty - dropped 8 lbs and ended up about right. It may not seem that way early in the dive due to the greater air capacity of the E8-119 (3 extra lbs of gas).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom