weight that it took to sink 5mm gold core wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
well I am suprised it took 20 Ibs to sink a two peice 5Mm gold core wet suit . farmer john with step in top !!
guess I figured out why I am wearing so much weight now !!!
and yes we got all the air ect out we could find ect !!! guess its time to invest in 3mm one piece

If you've been using a double 5mms I doubt you'll be able to survive in a 3mms :)

I had the same problem with my new Henderson Hyperstretch but I think some of it comes from the fact that new neoprene is more positively boyant than usual.

3 lbs of lead going from the farmer john style 7 mil (not henderson) to my one pce 7/5 mil with hood.....And I am as warm or warmer....

I dove cold today, and it took 30 lbs on me...to sink a hyperstretch 7mm jumpsuit with a 7mm hooded vest.

I might be able to do with less, and will experiment in the coming days with less....

Today was the first dive with the new suit, and I had lots going on....mask leaks, etc...

That doesn't sound unreasonable.

My one-piece 7mm takes 16 lbs to sink. That's me, with nothing else on but the wetsuit, in a pool, holding onto a weight belt with 16 lbs on it. In salt, that's about 20 lbs.

My 5mm Gold Core XL onepiece took 13lb (almost made it with 12)

Wife's same in med took 10lb.

Wife's same in 3mm med took 5lb.

edit after reading Notabob's post below:

Above weights are for the suits alnoe - no bodies contained
Just attached weights at the waist until it sunk.

When figuring out the weight necessary for a particular wetsuit, one shouldn't forget the bouyancy characteristics of a human body. If I'm not mistaken, most, if not all, human bodies are inherently negative (even if we are mostly made of water :wink: ). Some more so, some less so. Something to keep in mind.

-Roman.

Back
Top Bottom