Weight option for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon V-weight pouch. Let's you put the weight where you need it. For example, when diving AL80 twins, I put a 4 pound soft weight in the lower pouch, but if they're rental twins like in Mexico, I may need to tweak it by throwing some weight in the main pouch too, since the bands may not always be perfect.

That's a good one as it states 10 lbs and has two pouches. Do you put loose lead shot in it or can you put soft lead preweighted pouches into it?

You have to use the soft lead pre-weighted pouches.

I've never had any reason to use weights with twin steel tanks. With backmounted double aluminum tanks, I use weight pouches on the waist strap. With sidemount, I mount them in the small of my back.

I use the highland v-pouch. Use your own soft lead to fill it. I have 3 different sets of double steel twinsets. The 120’s no lead needed, the mini 50’s. Dry need 6lbs, wet 7mm need 2lbs, wet 3mm I am slightly negative already. 85’s 1lb dry, negative already in wetsuits. The 72’s I am building now. I may or may not need lead in a drysuit. Have to wait and see when the tank bands get here. With the highland pouch. I have 3 of them. Ore filled with lead so all I have to do is remove back plate and swap them depending on what thermal protection I am using. Quick and easy.

The pouch holes are the 13” apart. It mounts behind the back plate on the band bolts weight sits nicely between the tanks and keeps the weight right midline next to your back. So no listing or trim issues created by weight placement

That's a good one as it states 10 lbs and has two pouches. Do you put loose lead shot in it or can you put soft lead preweighted pouches into it?
You can use loose shot, but you need to confine it somehow or it will leak. I just wrapped the shot in part of an old t-shirt. Or you can use pouches.

I use a Tail weight. the tail prong allows you to thread it through the back plate bolt so it stays fixed exactly where you want it, Mine goes in between the bolts but you could put it below if that is better for your trim.
I've never used pouches but many do, I've always been concerned about them moving when inverted messing up trim.

I've only just switched over from my weight belt, simply because it's never as easy to remove as you think it's going to be, with the backplate, waist strap, crotch strap, canister/pouch in the way. I wouldn't recommend the weight belt method.

Either a v-weight or weight belt. It depends what ends up in the dive bag. I only need 2kgs, so it doesn't matter to me really

I use a rubber belt - ditchable weight. But everyone looks at me cross eyed... So learn from me - dont do it... lol

Steel BP, then add a V-weight (I like my Highland one, just fine - filled it with shot) when needed, then add a weight belt when I need even more (i.e. diving in cold salt water, where I'm extra buoyant and I'm diving dry with thick undies).

Back
Top Bottom