Weight of rebreathers -- Ready to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whilst we're busy weighing rebreathers... For comparison, does anyone know what a ready-to-dive twinset weighs?

I used to dive twin 12 litre steels with concave bottoms. These three are now being used as gas banks for O2, 'mix and air.

Have just weighed the full air twinset (obviously) with manifold and it's 39kg/86lbs. To dive, add to that the regulators, steel backplate, wing, a 1 litre steel drysuit inflate cylinder + regulator, and an additional 4kg/9lbs of lead V-weights. Should add the suit heater battery and torch.

Could we say 60kg/132lbs? My back says that's not far off.

I guess we can ignore the two ali80s for the deco gases as rebreathers need bailout
My Steel D12s with a SS backplate is 124lb ready to dive (includes 10lb of lead to sink my Coldwater undergarments and also my canister light attached). So my Fathom with on-board LP50s is around 15lb heavier.

Fathom rigged "DIR" style: 144lb/65kg. That includes:
-2xLP50s for DIL/ Deep BO
-1x3L Steel for O2
-1x3L AL for suit inflation (I could reduce the weight to 140lb by switching to an AL6, which I use as well).
-12lbs of lead to sink (Im diving in cold water with thick undergarments, plus I'm using the 5lb scrubber which basically leaves a big empty air cavity in the bottom of the can).

I'm actually very tempted to make a Fathom "light" build for open water dives in the shallow/ moderate depth range. 2xAL30s with a Lola, a 2L for O2 vs a 3L, and if I use a non helium based dil, I can ditch the inflation bottle... My heart is telling me it would be cool, but my brain is telling me to just use OC for those dives. Not sure who is going to win that argument...
Does that include 1st and 2nd stages ? I’m looking into the Fathom in the “GUE” type config and wondering how much lighter it would be versus double 104’s or 130’s.

Thanks.

Does that include 1st and 2nd stages ? I’m looking into the Fathom in the “GUE” type config and wondering how much lighter it would be versus double 104’s or 130’s.

Thanks.
Yep, that weight is ready to dive. Like jumping into the water ready, so it includes a canister light. I believe it is still a couple pounds lighter than my PST 130s, but yes, it is a beast.

I have just got my rig setup to operate in a DIR "lite" mode with 2x AL30s using air or 32% dil for shallower dives in open water. I will post the ready to dive weight of that when I get in the water the next time. I expect it to be a weight savings of almost 20lbs, putting it on par with my Faber HP100 twinset.

I've been trained on and owned a number of different rebreathers. Here's some rough weight comparisons.

Fathom - less than a set of 104s
KISS Classic - less than a set of 104s
Meg - less than a set of 104s
SF2 - less than a set of 104s
Liberty - less than a set of 104s
Optima - less than a set of 104s
Optima CM - less than a set of 104s unless you're using it with a set of 104s
Inspiration - less than a set of 104s
JJ - less than a set of 104s

I've been trained on and owned a number of different rebreathers. Here's some rough weight comparisons.

Fathom - less than a set of 104s
KISS Classic - less than a set of 104s
Meg - less than a set of 104s
SF2 - less than a set of 104s
Liberty - less than a set of 104s
Optima - less than a set of 104s
Optima CM - less than a set of 104s unless you're using it with a set of 104s
Inspiration - less than a set of 104s
JJ - less than a set of 104s
Haha

Liberty Heavy with 3L steel tanks config, aluminium backplate and scrubber: 36KG.

No added weight for wetsuit diving, is alraedy negative. For dry suit you may need some weight depending on the undergarments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom