weight for your BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Codyjp

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently bought a DSS wing/plate setup. Currently i am using a weight belt with hard weight on it.

I would like to get something a bit more comfortable though. I have been looking at the Dive Rite 16lbs transweight system.

http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp?category=5&fromsearch=1&hashvalue=004167

Are there any other routes that i could go? I am also considering the bolt on plate weights that DSS sells. also, i was thinking of making my own. what do you do? any sugestions?

Codyjp:
I recently bought a DSS wing/plate setup. Currently i am using a weight belt with hard weight on it.

I would like to get something a bit more comfortable though. I have been looking at the Dive Rite 16lbs transweight system.

http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp?category=5&fromsearch=1&hashvalue=004167

Are there any other routes that i could go? I am also considering the bolt on plate weights that DSS sells. also, i was thinking of making my own. what do you do? any sugestions?

Cody,

I'd suggest a couple things. The first would be to add weight to your BP. Either our 5 or 8 lbs weight plates. Using the 8 pounders would leave 8lbs in a weight belt.

A 8 lb belt using soft weights in an XS Scuba belt is not a comfort issue, at least for me.

I would not recommend having 100% of your weight on your BP.

Tobin

thanks tobin, i think that is the route I will be going. if i were to mount those x/s scuba pouches on my waist webbing can i just open the pockets to dump some weight if i really need to?

also did a more sucessful search here on SB so i think i got it worked out everybody thanks

Codyjp:
thanks tobin, i think that is the route I will be going. if i were to mount those x/s scuba pouches on my waist webbing can i just open the pockets to dump some weight if i really need to?

also did a more sucessful search here on SB so i think i got it worked out everybody thanks

Cody,

XS Scuba makes both a weight belt, with either 4 or 6 pouches on it, or stand alone pouches that can be fit to 2" webbing.

What I use is the belt. I usually have 4-6 lbs in the belt. You can open each pouch and remove the weight.

I prefer to have some of my ballast on my person. If I get in the water in my buoyant exposure suit with no ballast on my person it can make donning the gear in the water more of a challenge.

Having all you weight on the rig makes it heavy to move, and may in some cases require a larger wing than you need if some of the ballast is on your person.

Tobin

interesting that is something i hadn't thought about. i guess having a weight belt would be handy for free diving to.

I need to dive with a fair bit of weight (28 lbs) and I love the DUI Weight and Trim II system. I like the fact that my BP/W setup isn't a whole ton heavier and the W&T2 is so easy to carry around that you'll hardly notice you have it on.

YMMV :)

I use a DSS single tank rig, with the DR transweight 16 pockets. It works great. In my summer suit (XXL 3/2 jump suit) I use 6lbs lead (all of it in the pockets) and trims out fine. In my winter suit (XXXL 7/5 jump suit, gloves, 4/3 hood) I need 16 lbs in fresh water, 20lbs in salt. I use XS scuba trim weight pockets on the upper cam band and the rest in the transweight pockets. I found that with this much weight I was heavy at the waist/feet and needed to move weight up my torso to get trimmed properly. I also had to play around a bit with moving my tank (steel 130) up and down to help with the trim issues.

I'm thinkin' I'll probably order some of the DSS weight plates before next winter so I can get rid of the XS weight pockets.

When I first got certified, I bought a Jacket BC with weight integration. I though I was so great for not needing to wear a weight belt. BLAH! Since I now have a BP/W I am setting up, I am rethinking the entire wieght issue. Here is my current project I am working on.

I am developing a weight schedule based on what equipment I am diving. How much weight do I need to keep just me nuetral at 10 ft? How much to keep me in my 3/2 nuetral? how about my 7mm with hood?
Then I know how much to wear on my weight belt to be good in case I need to remove my gear underwater. Next, how much do I need to get my BC to be neutral? I know my jacket BC needs some weight even with an empty bladder. How much do I need to keep an empty tank neutral (in case of loss of back gas).

I am also weighing all my "others" such my light, reels, etc. I want to eliminate any guessing from my future dives, and be sure that I can be neutral at safety/deco stops.

FD

I use the DSS SS BP, 5 lb weight plates and the DUI WT2. Works very, very well.

I use a Fred T custom plate (aluminum and stainless steel). I am 6'4" tall and I find the custom plates more comfortable than my standard DR plate. My question is not necessarily weight to get me down (my steel double 104's) do just fine...it is keeping my center of gravity in check in shallower water with a thicker wet suit. Some have suggested strapping a 3 to 5 lbs hard weight on my crotch strap. Some have suggested bolt on weights. It really is an exercise in experimentation with what works best in any given environment. For example: tropical ocean, thinner wet suit, aluminum plate. Atlantic coastal, thicker wet suit, stainless steel plate....you get the picture.

Any suggestions on furthering proper weighting / bouyancy techniques?

Thanks.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom