Weight distribution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

demisvmax

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Is there an analogy of the total weight carried, to be put in the front or in the trim pockets in the back? Like 60% front and 40% at the back? Or is it a matter of personal preference and what works better on the individual. Thanks, people!

Is there an analogy of the total weight carried, to be put in the front or in the trim pockets in the back? Like 60% front and 40% at the back? Or is it a matter of personal preference and what works better on the individual. Thanks, people!

it is all a matter of what helps your trim. what ever helps level you out is what you need to put into the rear pockets. it is going to vary from person to person and set up to set up.

It's definitely a bit personal in what works for you, but starting with a 60/40 split is a good beginning. Also, keep in mind that Zeagle BCs have their weight pockets on the sides, not really on the front, so that may affect your weight distribution as well.

I feel it is pretty much a personal thing. You put the weight where you need it to be trim. Then if you change gear you may need to re-trim again. My nephew had this problem with his legs. They were always way more buoyant than the rest of his body and he needed ankle weights to trim out. Then I decided to let him try my Apollo fins which were heavier then his, and a bit neg. buoyant. With the Apollos he no longer needed the ankle weights to stay trimmed.

I had it more or less 50/50 in Curacao and in the cold water it was much different, with probably 75% in the front. No real difference. I just find having something in the back makes keep upright at the surface a bit easier.

Back
Top Bottom