weight belts or integrated weights?

For most of my diving:

• All my weights are on my weight belt.

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • Some of my weights are on my belt, some in integrated pockets.

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • All my weights are in integrated pockets.

Votes: 110 47.8%
  • Other (e.g. I use a weight harness, or my weight is (on) my back plate).

Votes: 45 19.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weight belt plus backplate w/ plate weights. I like to keep my weight distributed in such a way that if I have to separate myself from my rig, one of us won't be trying to go up while the other is trying to go down ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In cold water, I use a harness + some weight in cam band pockets on my BP/W.
- I don't trust most integrated weight pockets to hold all my lead.
- I want some weight on my rig so I float should I need to ditch it on the surface
- I want some of my weight on me so I can use a small wing regardless of tank.
- It cost me nothing to be balanced, so I still have the option to separate underwater.
- I like the harness and the ability to slide the weights into the perfect position for trim.

I warm water in 3mm, I really don't care where it is.

I cut the integrated weight pockets off my Balance; I use the trim pockets and my belt. Just a belt with my Spectrum (vest).

Weight belt, SS BP, and steel tank.

Sometimes I just toss the weights in the pockets of my jacket BC :)

Does that count as 'weight integrated'?

I wasn't sure what to answer, but chose integrated.

I use a Zeagle Scout that has pockets on the back next to the tank. They are quick release so I use those, don't know if they count as integrated or trim. I only carry 6-8lbs with a 3mm in tropics so it all goes there.

I can't stand full jacket style BC's with the weight pockets up front, so when I used one of those it was a belt all the way with the weights on my hips.

Are you crazy?

Asking this of a scuba diver is somewhat redundant, don't you think?

There is too much anecdotal evidence of dropped weights for me to even consider integrated weights for cold water diving. Further, adding 24# of weight to a jacket that already weighs the better part of 50# just makes the rig too heavy to lift.

And then there is the question of whether the bladder will provide enough lift: figure -10# for the tank, -24# for the weights, -2# for the regulator + whatever buoyancy the BC supplies (let's assume 0) so 36# is required just to support the rig.

Perhaps integrated weight systems make sense for warm water divers where only a few pounds are needed. Loss of the weights won't result in the diver emulating a Polaris missle.

I don't have hips and haven't had in many years. So the DUI Weight & Trim Classic works for me.

Richard

Primarily weight belt. Also used weight pockets on tank bands for a small amount of weight - typically 2-3# per side. When diving a dry suit, I use a harness (still consider that a weight belt - just a little fancier). My wife dives integrated weights and I hate it. PITA to handle out of the water - I find it much easier to manage as independent systems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom